Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Give my hand away or wait?

30/60 Stud8

3 brings in, 5 limps, I complete with KKK with an aggressive ace behind me. As expected, he makes it two bets, and it's folded back to the 5 who calls. If I 3-bet, I think my hand is face up (although maybe they think I'm crazy enough to have KAK or AAK), and so I will certainly lose some action later in the hand, but if I just call I'm missing two (and maybe more) guaranteed bets. So, raise or just call?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Give my hand away or wait?

I would call with the plan to bump it up on 5th. Then you get a 2 bet in and the acees might think you have 2 pair and keep giving you action.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Keep raising. If an aggressive ace is behind you chances are he ain't backing down if he has split aces or a low draw. What if he catches another Ace because of your slowplay? What are you gonna do then? You don't want 2 others in the pot & take a chance to get scooped. If you fill up, then you've built a nice pot.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Seems like you're more than halfway to faceup here anyway.

I've been thinking about spots like this recently. I think the determining factor here isn't deception but initiative and controlling the size of the pot. But I haven't come to any conclusions about what that means.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if he catches another Ace because of your slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think he is ever folding here, so our slowplay won't determine whether or not he catches a two outer against us.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want 2 others in the pot & take a chance to get scooped.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a concern, but a set of kings is pretty strong, even in a multiway pot.

If you think the aces will re-pop again if you raise, I'd raise, but if you think it will slow him down I think waiting until 5th is fine and lets you get in a big two bet rather than a small one.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if he catches another Ace because of your slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think he is ever folding here, so our slowplay won't determine whether or not he catches a two outer against us.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want 2 others in the pot & take a chance to get scooped.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a concern, but a set of kings is pretty strong, even in a multiway pot.

If you think the aces will re-pop again if you raise, I'd raise, but if you think it will slow him down I think waiting until 5th is fine and lets you get in a big two bet rather than a small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. But I'm advising from experience with rolled K's. It was in a stud hi game at lower limits but against people who are aggressive & on a draw...it'll be painful if you don't improve. With 2 others in the pot drawing at you & you only have a high hand...

At least try to get it HU.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 2 others in the pot drawing at you & you only have a high hand...

[/ QUOTE ]OH %$^%%$- ignore my posts. I just realized this was Stud8. Not that I am at all qualified to speak on this game, but I am re-raising every time.

<----- Donk who can't read
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With 2 others in the pot drawing at you & you only have a high hand...

[/ QUOTE ]OH %$^%%$- ignore my posts. I just realized this was Stud8. Not that I am at all qualified to speak on this game, but I am re-raising every time.

<----- Donk who can't read

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] don't feel bad, I've done the same thing before.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM

My opponent is not a moron, and knows that I am not one either. If I 3-bet when his 2-bet when I have an K and he has an A, he is going to be pretty sure I am rolled up. He is not going to 4-bet except under rare circumstances. While I doubt he has to discipline to fold split aces here, this is only one of the many hands he could have. He would probably raise any hand he was going to play when he has an ace in the door.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM

i think raising now will get you the most equity in the long run despite people playing perfect against you.

the reason being, they know what you have but them knowing that you know they know should keep their play ABC and you'll be able to play perfect poker as well.

i think that's 4th level thinking or some level near there.