Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Dexter Finale

Good ending for the season, although it still had those nagging incongruities;

-So Dexter can get the drop on Doakes, a former Spec Ops man who is built like a shick brithouse, in less than 5 seconds, but can't do the same to his MUCH smaller, and almost certainly less trained brother?

- If Dex's brother/ITK assumed an identity, wouldn't that have made being a licensed doctor a bit harder to pull off? It seems the case that he WAS actually trained to be a doctor, but I think they said the guy who "died under mysterious circumstances" whose name he assumed was a lawyer or something?( I may have imagined this)

- Kinda gay that Debra was KO'd while ITK and Dex were talking above her, but she wakes up JUST IN TIME to see him save her. Also, the way things played out, I would guess that the ITK would have told her all about her dear brother. A bit odd that Dex didn't probe that a bit with her.

-The whole Rita's ex thing is just retarded, and the "look for a shoe" bit I believe was ripped off from Encyclopedia Brown.

- In the tail end of a MAJOR investigation, are they REALLY going to just replace a lieutenant with someone with zero information on the case at hand?

- Couldn't batista have just ASKED someone to check ITK's prints versus Mental hospitals? No, that would have been FAR less dramatic, even tho far more efficient.

Anyways, yay me for getting it right early, although there really weren't all that many other plausible explanations, ( not that that has stopped this show before.) It seemed somewhat inferred that Dex and IDK had different fathers, although I wish they would have gone into the details about the massacre a bit more, ( season 2?). The guy who played ITK was excellent the whole seaon through, btw. Also, FINALLY Doakes has a REAL reason to be suspicious of Dexter, not just that silliness from early in the season.

Other random thoughts;

- If the police found ITK's childhood home to bust in on him, Dex and Debra, then they also knew his name, his mother's name, and the fact that she was a murder victim. I guess burning the file nixes the link to Dexter tho.

- It sort of seems like this whole scenario might have been leaning towards "curing" Dexter, but the final scene (excellent, BTW) seems to bolster his own opinion of what he does. Whereas before he was just a sicko who killed bad guys to satiate his own carnal desires, now maybe he thinks of himself as more of just a vigilante who enjoys what he does.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Dexter Finale

Couple other things;

-Early odds on Season 2 storyline: 3-1 "Dexter searches for his mother's killers."

- As if Deb wasn't F'd up enough already. Could you imagine dating her now?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple other things;

-Early odds on Season 2 storyline: 3-1 "Dexter searches for his mother's killers."

[/ QUOTE ]

this confirmed? or just your idea? 'cause i liiiike.

finale was excellent. ITK being his brother was obviously unsurprising, but i'm glad the show chose not to treat it as a "luke i am your father" moment but rather reveal it relatively early in the episode and then give that relationship/story a little bit of time to develop. last scene between the two of them was disturbingly heartbreaking.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Dexter is my favorite show on TV right now, but I thought the finale was pretty weak. It seemed like the writers got themselves in a jam and had to just randomly tie things up in an hour.

There were just so many problems, like how Dexter could bring ITK back to his old place without getting caught. Doakes happens to be tailing him almost the entire episode except when it counted, and there happens to be no one staking out this guy's apartment despite what's going on in the case.

There were other things that stood out, but whatever. I can't wait for season 2.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dexter is my favorite show on TV right now, but I thought the finale was pretty weak. It seemed like the writers got themselves in a jam and had to just randomly tie things up in an hour.

There were just so many problems, like how Dexter could bring ITK back to his old place without getting caught. Doakes happens to be tailing him almost the entire episode except when it counted, and there happens to be no one staking out this guy's apartment despite what's going on in the case.

There were other things that stood out, but whatever. I can't wait for season 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on all points made, mentioned the same points to my wife as we were watching. And yeah, can't wait for Season 2.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:48 PM

1) Yeah taking the identity of a dead guy was pretty dumb. Any job will do a background check, they could have explained this better.

2) In the preview for this episode they showed dexter hiding in the ITK's "cold room" with a controller of sorts. I thought he was going to ambush him or be stuck there freezing, waiting for cops that came to check out the place to leave. He said himself "he wouldn't just leave this behind" and now he goes back there? After the guy is MIA? Wtf?

The rita's ex thing was dumb. In fact, I'm just going to agree with all your criticisms of the episode.

I also didn't think that the true feelings dexter had for his brother translated that well until the last moment. I kept wondering if he was going to snap on Rudy at any moment, but he didn't. This show did so well with voice overs because dexter was acting a certain way and feeling another. I don't know, I was expecting it all to be a bit different.

Also, wtf rudy, where are you and Dex going to go? You can't hide anymore you have completely outted yourself. His actions made sense and then he snapped. Could dexter do the same thing? I like that we saw the monster side of dexter. The side that liked attention (ending scene) and kind of displayed a bit of irrational thought. What if he stopped throwing the dead bodies in the water and started leaving them out with explanations? THAT would be cool too for season 2, with his mother's killer's being a victim at some point which would continue to force dexter to reveal his vigilante self.

I do want to see him snap one day. One thing I saw from rewatching the 1st episode is how angry he was to start off the show. That character was gone for pretty much the rest of the series until this last episode.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 PM

now that im thinking about it... all those things dont make any sense. at least how they could possibly get back into ITK's old apartment...

danza, re: angry character in the first episode - the pilot is usually produced before any of the other episodes are even written. so its likely he was so over the top angry to best illustrate the "he's-a-killer" arc solely through one episode. but then when they got picked up for a full season, the remaining episodes gave them a chance to develop dexter as someone much more complex. i think if they carried that anger with him through the whole season, we wouldn't sympathize with him. i mean as it is, he's not killing because he's angry. he's killing because he can't not kill.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM

Yes there are flaws in this show a lo of things could have beeen better done and explained. However, in a show like this, which is very easy to enjoy I just choose to ignore them.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 PM

Can't wait for next season and I'm upset that this show didn't get more love here. Its a shame that people were watching mediocre SNL shows instead.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 PM

i enjoyed the episode...my main complaint was that i never really felt that dexter gave much consideration to going off with rudy...i never felt that he was actually going to kill deb...