Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Live Stud hands per HR.

I was wondering about playing (say live 3-6 stud), roughly how many hands would one expect to see per hr? Trying to figure out about how much I can expect to lose in antes with my normal tight play.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Live Stud hands per HR.

30 hands/hour is a good estimate for live 3-6. At Higher limts you usually get more hands in because there are less players involved in each pot on average.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Something like 30 hands in an hour. How much you ante in an hour isn't particularly relevant. You still ante 50 cents (or whatever) per hand whether they get off ten or fifty of them in an hour.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to figure out about how much I can expect to lose in antes with my normal tight play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same amount you would lose if you played every hand.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM

Thanks I was just curious about the ante thing. I wondered why a left down about $10(no brainer now)Had some kill time yesterday in between jobs & played 3-6 stud8 yesterday for only about 45 minutes or so and I hardly played a hand. Just bad cards. The few times I did play the only person who noticed was the guy on my right who said "Oh your'e playing? You must have something" He was saying it sort of in jest but he was pretty right on. The play at the table was pretty loose-passive and as one might figure a bit of an older group which is fine by me. They were all very nice. I haev been playing stud Hi and stud8 for over a year but just revently astartd playing live aout 2 monhts ago. I can spot the reckless and bad players within a few hands now. There were 2 guys at the table who were really bad so it made it well worth it to stick around for a bit and try and play a few hands. But 45 minutes is so short a time that according to some of you I probably only saw around approx. 20 or so hands? The bad players were the kind who were showing down hands as weak as just a middle pair with no low at all. I saw the gentelman right next to me fold K's up on 7th street wiht a large pot on hand. He would have won it cause the guy who scooped it only had J's up! Only one more bet into a large pot! I couldn't believe it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM

If you are playing 1-5 with the old fogeys, then take that 30 hands/hr that has been mentioned & reduce it to about 15. They don't do anything in a hurry.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing 1-5 with the old fogeys, They don't do anything in a hurry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except fold to your raise. Oh, and complain to the floor about food comps, etc...
Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 PM

I played some more this late morning again at the 3-6 Stud8. Played for about an hour and saw a few fair 3 card lows that were playable but never turned into anything at all. The table seemed to move in slow motion the whole time! I am in my early 40's and I was the youngest one by an easy 15-20 years easy. It is one of those games where the regs. always check down against each other even if they are showing a huge hand on their upcards. Not much fun like that at times and very passive. They also show each other their cards a lot not paying attention to who may still want to bet ocassionally. On the one hand it bugs me on the other, these guys play with each other every single day all year round and it is purely a social thing to them. Maybe I'll see it different when I am 20-30 yrs older. The thing is that they are all pretty nice for the most part so it is generally a fun time. This is the only limit for stud8 that this joint has. They probably think of me as a rock because I play so few hands. I just don't like playing trashy hands I guess. They are all there to see as many cards as possible.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something like 30 hands in an hour. How much you ante in an hour isn't particularly relevant. You still ante 50 cents (or whatever) per hand whether they get off ten or fifty of them in an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think so andy? i was thinking a lot less depending on if the dealer needs to make change.. like in 20/40 when everybody basically uses $5 chips and they get a $2 return on every hand.. slows it down quite a bit.

i know when i i play the 75/150 its particularly faster b/c people arent as slow for the most part.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played some more this late morning again at the 3-6 Stud8. Played for about an hour and saw a few fair 3 card lows that were playable but never turned into anything at all. The table seemed to move in slow motion the whole time!

[/ QUOTE ]

They're cheating you one ante at a time. They all think they can outlive you and the last one alive gets all the monies.