Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Pushing out the winner

I'd like to post an interesting hand which played out in a live 15-30 game. Sorry, but I don't recall each card that came out, but I remember most of the hand. This was a few weeks ago.

After one limper, an early position player raises. There is a cold-call behind him and I am in the small blind with a medium suited ace. I called the four chips and so did the big blind and the limper, sending us to a 5-way flop. The flop is about the best I could hope for: 10-6-6 with two of my suit. Three of us checked to the preflop raiser who bets. Late position player calls.

My read: I'm almost certain that the preflop raiser does not have a 6, TT unlikely, but I'm not sure about the late position player. With 12 small bets in the pot, I would still be getting 6-1 on a raise here, and a check-raise may give me an excellent bluffing opportunity with which I may win the pot after missing my flush, so I made a raise.

After the big blink mucks, the early position limper three bets me. The preflop raiser, now faced with calling two bets cold, mucks and tells his friend how his pocket kings were no longer any good. The late position player also mucks, and I call.

My read: I don't think this player would check-3bet without a 6. Being early position, I'm thinking 67s or 56s. I no longer think that I can represent the trips and take this pot, I need to hit a flush without hitting a 5 or 7, and without double pairing the board.

Turn is a blank, I check and call. River is also a blank, action is check check. He shows a 10 for top pair on the flop, and the raiser who held the kings can't believe what just happened.

So, how was my play on this hand? How about my opponent? Had he not three-bet the flop, he wouldn't have recieved any chips on this hand, but he was also raising a check-raiser on a paired board without trips. I was quite surprised when he turned over a 10 and not a 6, gutsy play I think. Does his 3-bet scream "not trips"? Should I have check-raised the turn, still representing the trips, or was there a good chance he had it?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Pushing out the winner

Let me help you:

10handed 15/30

Hero in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PF:
UTG limps, UTG+1 Raises, MP2 calls, hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

(10SB)Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
three checks UTG+1 bets, MP2 calls, hero raises, BB folds, UTG 3bets, UTG+1 folds (claims KK), MP2 folds, I call.

(9BB)turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets, hero calls.

(11BB)river: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
check, check.

So, how was my play on this hand? How about my opponent? Had he not three-bet the flop, he wouldn't have recieved any chips on this hand, but he was also raising a check-raiser on a paired board without trips. I was quite surprised when he turned over a 10 and not a 6, gutsy play I think. Does his 3-bet scream "not trips"? Should I have check-raised the turn, still representing the trips, or was there a good chance he had it?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Yeah, your opponent should probably fold the flop, but if he isn't going to fold the 3bet is alright. The problem I have with it is what are we supposed to put him on considering he limped UTG and then just called when raised? Looks more like 22-JJ than 6x. I supposed 67s is possible.

As for your hand, a turn chk/rz would have been inspired, though possibly insane. I'm certainly willing to give him credit for... whatever, and call hoping to hit my flush, willing to pay off if I hit my ace. Your line is just fine.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM

csc,

c/r the turn would be retarded...the dudes flop c/3bet is basically saying "im showing down whatever i have", call until you make your flush then raise...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 AM

I agree, I don't think this guy is folding. Just keep it cheap as possible unless you hit your hand.

Maybe the KK guy will be on tilt and you can get paid off with your next good hand.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM

3Dan,

There was a touch of humor attached to "inspired". Of course I agree that chk/rzing the turn is a little crazy.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:05 PM

Well, after seeing the hand, I thought I could possibly knock him out with a check-raise on the turn because he didn't have a 6. I don't think he would continue with his top pair after a check raise on two streets. However, I couldn't make this read, and put him on the 6. If I knew I had 12 outs, I would have gone for the semi bluff check raise.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:"Does his 3-bet scream not trips?"I originally put him on A6 suited.The pot is getting large enough that he would re-raise with a 6 in his hand,rather than slow play it,especially with the 2 spades on board.

Is it likely that he has seen enough of your play so that he thinks that you would have slow-played the flop with a 6,so now that you have "denied" holding a 6 because of your raise,he sees an opportunity to move the pre-flop raiser off his hand.If so,he made a sweet play.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM

benwood:

I like your read on his play, but I wouldn't slow play that flop with the trips. I would bet it, or check-raise if I am certain someone will bet my hand. I don't think he knew me well enough to know that, but you are right, few players would make the raise rather than slowplay. That is why I wondered about his raise, and whether or not it meant he didn't have trips.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, after seeing the hand, I thought I could possibly knock him out with a check-raise on the turn because he didn't have a 6. I don't think he would continue with his top pair after a check raise on two streets. However, I couldn't make this read, and put him on the 6. If I knew I had 12 outs, I would have gone for the semi bluff check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little results-oriented I think. For the miniscule number of times you will be facing a guy at 15-30:

1. with a hand weak enough to fold to a turn c/r
and
2. with the ability to fold a hand like TPNK in that situation

you are way more likely to be losing than winning with that play. I think the way you played it was just fine.