Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Default basic error in strategy of stem cell supporters?

i have no deep personal stance on stem cell research, as i'm not informed enough to know what i think, but i was just watching a jon stewart segment where both jon and the guest were strongly endorsing it and i thought their argument was flawed to the point that it made them both look dumb. here is the point they both kept coming back to, maybe some of you who support such research can chime in on why this is a good argument:

paraphrased "it's not like we're going to be creating new embryos throuh farming. we will only be using embryos which have been discarded by fertility clinics"

isn't inherent in this argument the idea that there is someting "wrong" with what they are doing? if their side has such a strong belief in this issue, shouldn't they be doing everything possible to create more embryos? if this is simply a way to make it more palatable politically, isn't that alone enough to devalue their point significantly?

anyone?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: basic error in strategy of stem cell supporters?

I full support the farming of new embroys for stem cells. So it's not all stem cell supporters who have a flaw, but just the moderate ones. And yes, I'm nearly positive this is just to gain political ground, but I don't think it devalues the point that much. They're just barganing: "you let us get stem cells, we won't create new babies from which to get them."
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 PM

I dont personally have any objection to harvesting or even farming. However the debate is much ado about nothing, since there hasn't been a single successful therapy developed from embryonic stem cells. All of the successes have been from adult stem cells from the patients own body.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I full support the farming of new embroys for stem cells. So it's not all stem cell supporters who have a flaw, but just the moderate ones. And yes, I'm nearly positive this is just to gain political ground, but I don't think it devalues the point that much. They're just barganing: "you let us get stem cells, we won't create new babies from which to get them."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, the question isn't over "letting" anyone do anything with them. There's no ban on it, no law against it. The question is about getting federal money for it.

natedogg
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, the question isn't over "letting" anyone do anything with them. There's no ban on it, no law against it. The question is about getting federal money for it.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

No law against embryo farming? I would think those would be 3rd trimester abortions, which as far I recall arent legal except for threats to the life of the mother (eg partial birth abortions).
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which as far I recall arent legal except for threats to the life of the mother (eg partial birth abortions).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Partial birth abortions" aren't generally performed because of threat to the life of the mother.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clairify, there is a federal ban prohibiting any new stem cell lines, as in, the few existing lines are all you can perform research on in the USA. Further, many states prohibit stem cell rearch entirely, so, while it may not be illegal federally, it is illegal in many places nonetheless.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont personally have any objection to harvesting or even farming. However the debate is much ado about nothing, since there hasn't been a single successful therapy developed from embryonic stem cells. All of the successes have been from adult stem cells from the patients own body.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because there has been more than ten years of research done with adult stem cells, but almost none done with embryonic. There haven't been any useful nano therapies yet either, that's why people do research.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 PM

Of course, no private company wants to spend money on embryonic stem cell research because there has been no progress made so far or any reasonable expectation of it in the future. The people screaming for embryonic stem cell research are mostly research scientists who get their money from federal grants.

If most medical advancements are made by private companies (and they are) and private companies don't see a future in embryonic stem cell research, then maybe its because there isn't much.

Do you really think that Pfizer would pass up the opportunity to develop drugs/therapies that could cure Parkinsons or Alzheimers if they could make money? It isn't as though private drug developers don't already spend millions to come up with treatments that actually cure diseases, even though they have to eat that cost if their drugs don't work or can't get approved by the FDA.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clairify, there is a federal ban prohibiting any new stem cell lines, as in, the few existing lines are all you can perform research on in the USA. Further, many states prohibit stem cell rearch entirely, so, while it may not be illegal federally, it is illegal in many places nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, the federal ban on new stemcell lines only applies to research that qualifies for federal money. You can go create your own new stemcell line today and start tinkering with it if you like. Or more accurately, if you get the investors.

natedogg