Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Cutco Knives

A few of my friends are selling Cutco kitchen Knives. The company is targeting college kids to peddle their product and these kids apparently make a decent amount. They even get money for doing a Cutco presentation for a family and not selling it. They always talk about how much money they are making, but I feel like it is really shady. Anyone have any information on this?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Cutco Knives

Yes, I've heard several horror stories about Vector Marketing, the company that is perpetually recruiting students to sell Cutco knives. I recommend researching "Vector Marketing" on Wikipedia and Google.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 PM

I remmember going to their presentation back in teh day not knowing what it was ahead of time. It was funny how they get you all excited, then ask you to come back in the office w/ the head guy to see if you've been accepted and make you feel like its a big deal that you got accepted, even though probably everyone did. And you could tell by the looks of people's faces as they walked out that they were thinking "yeah, i rule, awesome, i got in."

Also, when you call them and ask what you sell they say "high end kitchen appliances" and won't tell you more until you go, which is kinda funny.

It's amazing how close to a lawsuit they come in terms of their tactics.

At the same time, my roomate from freshman year did it, made a ton of money on it (he bought himself an A4) and got to be a manager or something in it. He was a business major. he's really outgoing and makes good first impressions (even though once you get to know him he kinda sucks). it takes a certain kind of person to do well at it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM

I also went to their preliminary "interview" where they talked about the company and the knives, then recieved the congratulatory phone call ("we're very excited to tell you're one of the few we've picked").

I have no issue selling things, but I would rather cold call than have to find my own contacts by setting up interviews within my social network. I'm not willing to jeopardize relationships to sell overpriced knifes.

The whole thing seemed shady. Sure, you can probably make decent money... but it didn't seem worth it at all.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 PM

My brother did this for a while in high school. It is decent money. My parents still use a set we bought, they are good knives.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 AM

i got one of these letters in the mail as i came home from my freshman year of college. it seemed shady but i was naive and called them. they immediately tried to set up an interview (for like the same day, not even the next day). i ended up scheduling an interview with them for a few days later, looked up their company online.

i searched "vector marketing" and the search engine returns... "did you mean 'vector marketing scam'?"

i laughed, then read about it, called the place back, apologized, and told them i wouldn't be at the interview
Old 12-01-2006, 02:57 AM

I don't want to whore my old blog out, but I wrote an article about them that got hotlinked by collegehumor while I was in high school. It should be on the first page.

http://www.xanga.com/stealthdoughnut

"My Two Hours as a Cutco Kid"
Old 12-01-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was a business major. he's really outgoing and makes good first impressions (even though once you get to know him he kinda sucks).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it takes a certain kind of person to do well at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I dislike most business majors I know.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"My Two Hours as a Cutco Kid"

[/ QUOTE ]

I dig your writing style. Keep up the good ink filled feather flowing my friend.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remmember going to their presentation back in teh day not knowing what it was ahead of time. It was funny how they get you all excited, then ask you to come back in the office w/ the head guy to see if you've been accepted and make you feel like its a big deal that you got accepted, even though probably everyone did. And you could tell by the looks of people's faces as they walked out that they were thinking "yeah, i rule, awesome, i got in."

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a similar meeting, only it was perfume instead of knives. Give them credit, they are good at what they do.