Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 01:01 AM

Default Theory question on 3 betting pf

When I play 200nl and 400nl it seems like this is a big part of the game, 3-betting pf out of the blings. When I sit down at 50 and 100nl it is mostly big pairs making the 3-bet preflop. Is this assumption wrong?

If not, my question is why is there not more players 3-betting in the lower limits ie. 2+2ers and good players building their rolls.

ALSO! What is the main reason we 3-bet pf? Is there any reason besides getting value when we thing we are ahead? Is it right to 3-bet just to move light pfr of hands by risking so much?

I've always had a more of a smallball style and when I moved up to 400nl I felt a bit lost. I almost felt like I had to playback pf just to keep the image up. Going back to 100nl this play doesn't seem to be effective.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Theory question on 3 betting pf

I suspect most of the good 100NL players do 3bet pre a fair amount, but the ratio of good players:bad players is a lot smaller at 100 than it is at 400 so it's really not surprising you notice it less often.

Also, the average player at 400nl probably has a wider opening range, making 3betting more effective. Against the 35/5 types at lower limits, 3betting is obviously a tool to be used way less frequently.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Theory question on 3 betting pf

Your reply made me think of something that I want to rephrase. If it more effective when used against looser pf raisers. What is it effective at?

If the players ARE tougher....why do other tough players want to build a pot oop?