Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Internet Explorer 7 [Help Please]

Hi, I recently downloaded Windows Internet Explorer 7. There's the small window to the right of the Back/Forward buttons which records every page that you have visited on the Internet:

[previous explorer]

Can you please tell me how to delete what history it already has saved, and more importantly, what to do so it doesn't save anything else.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Internet Explorer 7 [Help Please]

I'm assuming that the History feature in v7 is the same as previous. Just go into the Internet Options through internet explorer and select Clear History. Then you can adjust how long it saves your history for (in days) and set that to 0 (zero).

Or you could just stop looking at pr0n when you're at work...but either way works.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could just stop looking at pr0n when you're at work

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. Although if browsing pr0n @ work w/ IE7 there are far bigger problems than browser history. IE7 may have somewhat better security than IE6 but it's still IE...and there are still more gaping holes in it than basically any non-IE-based alternative browser.

On that note, many poker sites are actually just customized IE executables...wonder if the sites will upgrade to IE7 poker clients?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On that note, many poker sites are actually just customized IE executables...wonder if the sites will upgrade to IE7 poker clients?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Wouldn't people with previous versions of IE have problems accessing the site then? And we all know that a hella lot of people either won't update or don't have a legitimate copy of windows, (which if i remember correctly) you need to download IE7...don't remember
Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Wouldn't people with previous versions of IE have problems accessing the site then? And we all know that a hella lot of people either won't update or don't have a legitimate copy of windows, (which if i remember correctly) you need to download IE7...don't remember

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say....I just checked the file handles for UB's client and it looks like it'd work the same under IE7 as IE6/5. I'm not certain tho. (used sysinternals Process Explorer and checked the handles.)

WOW....just noticed in pasting that link that it's a MS technet link....wtf? When did MS buy out Sysinternals? Grrrrr...that could potentially suck.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW....just noticed in pasting that link that it's a MS technet link....wtf? When did MS buy out Sysinternals? Grrrrr...that could potentially suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back this summer. I remember seeing it on Slashdot. Here it is: July 18. I don't visit their site often enough to notice if any utilities suddenly went missing, but I would be shocked to see anything new or useful released in the future.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM

I suggest you delete IE7 immediately. I can't even begin to tell you the issues it's been causing people. They haven't worked out all the kinks yet. If you truly want it, try it again in a year when they put the fixes on it. Known issues are popping up everywhere with it.

I suggest you download Mozilla Firefox. It's hard switching from one browser that you like to one that you're not familiar with, but try it out. It's exactly like IE except the logo is different. Also, you can open multiple tabs in firefox, and in IE you have to open multiple windows (it's cluttering).
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Eh, I kinda like IE7. The fact that everybody who thinks they know anything is always trying to shove Firefox down your throat just pushes me back to IE. My inner rebel.

I use FF to surf the seedier corners of the internet, but for everything else I still use IE.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you delete IE7 immediately. I can't even begin to tell you the issues it's been causing people. They haven't worked out all the kinks yet. If you truly want it, try it again in a year when they put the fixes on it. Known issues are popping up everywhere with it.

I suggest you download Mozilla Firefox. It's hard switching from one browser that you like to one that you're not familiar with, but try it out. It's exactly like IE except the logo is different. Also, you can open multiple tabs in firefox, and in IE you have to open multiple windows (it's cluttering).

[/ QUOTE ]

What a strange response. If the OP is unsavvy enough (not that it's a bad thing in general) to be asking about removing history entries from IE7, why would you suggest to them to delete IE7? Ignoring that they would better be served by removing it than deleting it, the removal is a far more complicated procedure than clearing a browser's history.

Furthermore, your link to the sky-is-falling type issues that people are having is simply a site saying that some sites are using the User Agent string to disallow access. Any reputable site stopped doing this by 2000 and now uses object detections to see what capabilities a browser supports. If they were doing UA sniffing, it's better than 50/50 that they're not allowing Firefox access either. And if you're using an extension in Firefox to make it look like IE6, you can make IE7 look like IE6 through a registry tweak anyway.

I don't mean to be hard on you. I agree Firefox is a great browser. I've been using it since an early beta, and I was using Mozilla before that (and Netscape before that). So it's not that I don't appreciate Firefox. But this kind of evangelization has the exact effect that Meech (above) mentions: it turns off potential users. Politely mention Firefox if you must, but don't expect that people to change their habits just because you say so.

The OP has his own reasons for using IE7 (whether they're specific or just because it's there) which are just as valid as your reasons for using Firefox. Your answer (while you didn't mean it to be, I'm sure) comes across as arrogant and helps the OP exactly none. And yes, I realize the first reply answered the original question.

Edit: Furthermore, you're suggesting that the tabbed browsing in Firefox is the reason to switch from IE. Yet that's one of the most prominent (and well done) features in the very same IE7 that you're cautioning the user to avoid. Try IE7... you might like it. At least it's a compelling option.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Does anyone else get a huge list of adserver links when trying to use the back button on IE7 (basically rendering the back button useless)? It's like it's recording every time the ads here reload and listing them as if they were pages we visited. Great job MS.