Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM

Default virus / spyware protection

I searched but didn't find much.

My computer seems to have some problems. I downloaded and scanned with AVG, it got 3 viruses. But I still have this "Critical System Errors!" message popping up every few minutes and sometimes it tries to open a browser and sell me "virus busters"

I also downloaded spyware doctor which found 410 threats but won't do anything about it unless I pay.

Can anyone recomend good free software? I'm tierd of downloading 'free' programs that won't do anything unless you pay.

Thanks.

If I do have to buy something, what do you recomend?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: virus / spyware protection

microsoft antispyware, also called windows defender
Old 11-30-2006, 07:54 PM

adaware personal SE

Spybot Search & Destroy

both free, both good.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 AM

Google "virus busters" it's some mean ad ware.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 AM

If you have tried several antispyware programs with no change, do not download anymore spyware detectors. They will do you no good.

First and foremost, I want you to reboot your system. Once you see the BIOS screen (before the Windows screen) hit F8 to go into Safemode. If you see the windows screen, reboot your system and try it again. Choose sademode with networking once you're in safemode and see if your system is still giving you the same errors.

If your system is having the same issues in safemode, you have a serious issue on your hands and will most likely need to run diagnostics on the hard disc drive or possibly back up your data, and reformat/reinstall windows. This is not the only option you have, but it is the fastest.

If it isn't giving the same errors in safemode, I want you to reboot your system and go into windows normally.

The following is something very important that you need to do in order for your system to run more smoothly. WE're going to change your startup configuration. This will NOT delete anything from you system. It will simply disable all the programs from opening as soon as your turn your system on.

Go to start
Go to run
Type "msconfig" and click OK.
The last tab on the right says "Startup." I want you to go to disable all. Do NOT click OK to close the window.
Now go to the Services tab next to the startup tab.
Check the box on the bottom left that reads Hide All Microsoft Services.
Now click disable all again.
Now click OK to close the window.
Your system will reboot at this point.
A window will pop up on reboot that says that someone has change something in the configuration utility. Check the box on the bottom left that says "Do not show me this again."

If the problem persists, we will go from there.

If the problem does not persist, go back to msconfig and the startup and services tabs and enable any of the programs you still want to open as soon as you turn on your system. Exmaples: Symantec Norton, AVG, etc..
Old 12-01-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have tried several antispyware programs with no change, do not download anymore spyware detectors. They will do you no good.

First and foremost, I want you to reboot your system. Once you see the BIOS screen (before the Windows screen) hit F8 to go into Safemode. If you see the windows screen, reboot your system and try it again. Choose sademode with networking once you're in safemode and see if your system is still giving you the same errors.

If your system is having the same issues in safemode, you have a serious issue on your hands and will most likely need to run diagnostics on the hard disc drive or possibly back up your data, and reformat/reinstall windows. This is not the only option you have, but it is the fastest.

If it isn't giving the same errors in safemode, I want you to reboot your system and go into windows normally.

The following is something very important that you need to do in order for your system to run more smoothly. WE're going to change your startup configuration. This will NOT delete anything from you system. It will simply disable all the programs from opening as soon as your turn your system on.

Go to start
Go to run
Type "msconfig" and click OK.
The last tab on the right says "Startup." I want you to go to disable all. Do NOT click OK to close the window.
Now go to the Services tab next to the startup tab.
Check the box on the bottom left that reads Hide All Microsoft Services.
Now click disable all again.
Now click OK to close the window.
Your system will reboot at this point.
A window will pop up on reboot that says that someone has change something in the configuration utility. Check the box on the bottom left that says "Do not show me this again."

If the problem persists, we will go from there.

If the problem does not persist, go back to msconfig and the startup and services tabs and enable any of the programs you still want to open as soon as you turn on your system. Exmaples: Symantec Norton, AVG, etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...somebody's sober lol.

sound advice tho. Nothing to add here 'cept to run adawareSE and Spybot S&D from the above links....and you really should DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE before doing the safemode w/ networking and scan thing.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Google "virus busters" it's some mean ad ware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to reformat after getting this one.