Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Basic questions re: razz

I've started playing HU razz at Full Tilt. Not enough time in to make any conclusions, but I'm doing OK. Think that's more that nobody knows how to play either vs I'm a razz god. (Plus it seems easier to know--at least prior to 7th st--when your opponent can't possibly have you beat.)

Couple quick questions:

1. Any time you're up against a face (and you're 3 cards lower or so), I'm guessing you've got an auto-raise if it's brought in for the minimum. True?

2. If you have the K showing, when do you call the obligatory raise? A2K vs a 9 showing, probably, but how good do you need to be? (I'd think at least both hole cards lower than opponent's up card). I'm also assuming that you limp in, no matter how good your hole cards are, because you don't want to get into a pissing contest w/ a K showing.

3. Also, I don't see much point to slowplaying, but how do you know when to bluff an opponent who's shown strength when you catch a low on 5th, say, and he catches a face or pair (even though your hole cards are awful)?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Basic questions re: razz

[ QUOTE ]
Think that's more that nobody knows how to play either vs I'm a razz god.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm just going to guess the former. I bubbled a FT of a Razz tournament Fiday night and I don't really know how to play. This has GOT to be the softest game ever. After that tournament I went to Amazon and ordered "Sklansky on Poker" because I am certain there's a ton of money just waiting to be won in this game.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the K showing, when do you call the obligatory raise? A2K vs a 9 showing, probably, but how good do you need to be?

[/ QUOTE ]Check out these two articles from the 2+2 magazine:
Defending the Bring-in in Razz: Folding the Weaker Hand

Defending the Bring-in in Razz: Calling Against an Obvious Steal
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM

There will probably be some disagreement about your second question, but here's my take on it. I view a hand like A2K in razz similar to a hand like 76s in NL HE. That is, it's going to be well concealed and make a lot of money if it hits against an opponent with better starting cards, but at the same time, you're fighting an uphill battle. That said, a lot of people would argue to just throw the A2K away. I think this is especially true in a tournament situation (even more when the blinds are getting high). In a cash game, especially if I think this guy is stealing with a 9 up, I'll call to see what happens on 4th.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. If you have the K showing, when do you call the obligatory raise? A2K vs a 9 showing, probably, but how good do you need to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. In the worst case, your opponent has a smooth 3-card 9, in which case you are about a 2:1 dog

Against a steal, you do quite a bit better. I'm just learning this game myself, but I'm only calling with AK2 if my opponent will auto-steal with a 9-up (which is probably correct hu), and the ante/bring in is not too small relative to the raise (ie, decent pot odds).

I wouldn't say you have much deception here. Unless your opponent has no brain, he's putting you on two very low side cards.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 PM

As mentioned, if your folding all day with a K showing (as you should, even HU), and suddenly you call or raise, flags and alarm bells are immediately going to be going off in your opponents mind.

There is money in razz, the games are soft, you just have to cut through a lot of varience, especially in MTTs. Calling stations are difficult to play against if you start thinking in depth. Don't expect anyone to fold to a scary board, for example. In the long run though, I believe if you play ABC razz, which is harder than it seems sometimes because of it's drawing nature, you can be profitable.