Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Basketball Question (Endgame)

The daily dime on ESPN.com did a feature today on the Celtics blowing their lead. I would like to see any of your thoughts on this.

The Celtics are down one point with the ball, with 33 seconds to go, and call a timeout. They get the ball at halfcourt after the timeout. Keep in mind the shot clock in the NBA is 24 seconds.

Are you going for a 3 or a 2 here? Are you going to try to go for a "Two-for-one," in which you try to get your shot off before the 24 second mark on the game clock, in order to ensure another posession for your own team, or just looking to try to get the best shot at any point?

The Celtics execution was pretty bad, and they blew yet another huge 3rd quarter lead, and IMO, it was because of coaching.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Basketball Question (Endgame)

I drive to the basket and try to draw a foul. Also, great job at Wally trying to score a 2-pointer with 2 seconds left and down by 3. I watched this game and LOLed.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM

hornacek,

any thoughts on the 2 for 1? also, keep in mind that pierce was being double teamed, and is really the only guy on the team who can consistently get to the line off the dribble.

wally = cant dribble or drive
telfair = gets his shot blocked by the defensive force that is nenad krstic if he tries to bring it to the hole.

basically, i think people in boston are too harsh on doc rivers, but im trying to figure out if he messed up this game.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM

I have to believe the best play is to score quickly. I'd also say trying for a 3 is best as well.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM

How about drive to the lane if no go kick out for three before and go for the 2 for 1
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM

<u>Definitely</u> the 2-for-1 (this is a really important part of the endgame that most coaches ignore), look for an open shot whether it's a 2 or 3.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 PM

The two for one is the right play typically, but the timing didn't work out last night. They sort of tried to do that, with Pierce launching the quick three, but they had muffed the pass/handoff to him and then the long rebound restarted the shot clock such that there was only a 1 second differential and they had to foul. Right idea I think, bad execution.

That said, I find it amazing how few times in NCAA or NBA that teams understand the whole 2 for 1 thing.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM

okay thanks for the responses, guys.

i get the feeling its one of those things where no matter what happened, if the celtics lost, people would blame doc rivers like they always do.

question for anyone who watched the game:

on pierce's three point attempt, i read that al jefferson should have had the offensive rebound, but he fumbled it? would you agree with that?