Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 AM

Default Books?

I just started reading "Inside the Poker Mind" and find it quite useful. Would do you think about "The Psychology of Poker"?

Also, I've read HOH 1-III, Super System II and theory of poker. Any other reccomendations? Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Books?

To be more specific, I'm obviously not looking for rec's on books talking about starting hands and pot odds. I'd like to know what other books like "inside the poker mind" etc you'd reccomend. Thank you
Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 AM

You will get several replies that praise POP, so I will start being my usual self and say that I hate it.

But there aren't many pokerbooks to be found anyway ... a lot less worth having (I feel I have 'em all, and my library consist of about 40 books)

But for non educational book of the learn to play this or that type, try Ace on the River ... in many ways it is very basic and disappointing ... but it is also a nice little read.

If you like essays then Roy Cooke's Real Poker II is nice ... and Mason's Poker Essays I-III also ok.

Then there is the last of the 2+2 NL Hold'em books, NL Hold'em - Theory and Practice.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:33 AM

POP is more of a 1000 foot view versus the more specific type of instruction and discussion in Inside the Poker Mind.

POP is also very introspective in that Schoonmaker forces the reader to look at himself first and answer very basic questions about motivations, aptitudes and skills.

A major theme of POP is that winning LHE and TAG play are one and the same. Schoonmaker then examines the four major styles and suggests counters to each style faced.

On of the more helpful sections is where Schoonmaker describes the attributes of a winning player. It is fairly stark, blunt and accurate. Giving this section to someone who knows you well may be enlightening.

Between ISTPM and POP, I've reread Feeney several times, but haven't revisted Schoonmaker. For limit play, Feeney offers some real gems. POP is more of an insturctive overview.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started reading "Inside the Poker Mind" and find it quite useful.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you liked Inside the Poker Mind, you will also like Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker. They are kind of similar in the sense that (a) they cover a variety of different not-necessarily-closely-related topics -- each chapter is sort of a separate stand-alone essay; and (b) they are really good.

[ QUOTE ]
Would do you think about "The Psychology of Poker"?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is very different from Feeney's book. When I read it I honestly didn't get much out of it, but I'd have to read it again to give it a fair review.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I've read HOH 1-III, Super System II and theory of poker. Any other reccomendations? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
For limit hold 'em:
King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold 'em Poker
Roy Cooke's Real Poker II

For no-limit hold'em:
Sklansky & Miller's NLHTP

For PLO:
Slotboom's book