Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Black Friday Wii TR (Long)

This probably goes in the new video game forum, but I like you guys best. Mods move if need be.

So the fiancee and I get up at 4:30 to hit up Best Buy which opens at 5. There were literally 300-400 people in line. OK, we'll try Target.

This is more like it. It's about 4:55 and there's like 30 in line. It looks like we have a shot. Oh wait, what's that? Target doesn't open till 6? I don't think I'm going to wait in 30 degree Pittsburgh weather for the hope of scoring a Wii, which may or may not be in the store.

A lady says Sears is open. I hear Sears has sold Wii's in the past. We go. Nothing.

There is an EB Games in the mall, so we head over. It's like 5:15. When we get there, there are exactly 6 people waiting. The quintisential Nintendo fanboy, the soccer mom (who was there first, btw), and a few others. This isn't much of a line. It's basically just people standing near the store. No one can confirm or deny that they will actually have Wiis.

It's now about 5:45 and more gather. Probably about 12 now. Still no real line. I'm just hoping that they have Wiis and there isn't a mad rush toward the counter when the doors open. There is no sign of an EB employee yet, but there's a light on in back. It's been on since we arrived.

5:55, an employee rolls up, and enters through the front. No one bothers to ask when they open or if they have any Wiis.

6:05, more soccer moms arrive. They obviously have no time to wait around, and yell at the lone employee.

"WHAT TIME DO YOU OPEN?"

"Seven."

"DO YOU HAVE ANY WIIS?

"Yes."

ZOMG, I can't believe I'm actually going to get one.

"HOW MANY?"

The guy holds 6 fingers up.

The woman and I are number 7 and 8. WTF.

1-6 hi-five, and me and the fiancee talk about what to do. She suggests that she stays there and I go check out another outdoor EB to see if people are there. I go and she stays.

I'm quite annoyed and try to haul ass to the nearest EB. Black Friday is the worst traffic ever. Hopes are slim. I get a call, it has to be her cause no one in their right mind is awake right now. She says something about how she should have left with me just in case I found somewhere to get one. (We were also trying to score one for another 2p2er.) I tell her to leave and shop a little, cause there's basically no chance of anyone changing their mind, and I already feel bad that she's up this early. She says she's going to stay just in case.

The other EB has about 20 people outside. Gamestop 35. Back to Target. Oh, there's no parking, guess there wouldn't have been a shot to get one there anyway.

Then, the phone rings again. It has to be my gf, maybe there's a shot.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm actually number six!"

"How?"

"The couple in front of us are only buying one. We counted them as numbers three and four."

I get back to the EB in the mall at 6:30. There is a more defined line now. It looks as though I cut to the front, and expect whining, but there is none.

At 7, the lone employee opens the gate. I do my best to box out the horde while we approach the counter. A 17 something 5'4" blonde girl tries to cut. The others and I vouch for each other to the employee and the girl moves back. We all get one.

Beat: I was one short for the other 2p2er.

Brag: Ended up 6 out of 6 in line. Scored the Wii, Zelda, Monkeyball, 3 extra Wiimotes, and the last nunchuk.

Cliffs Notes: I got a Wii today.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Black Friday Wii TR (Long)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well GT1T, looks like you still got time to 5* Jordan.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well GT1T, looks like you still got time to 5* Jordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy at EB tolda me he'd hook me up with a wii. I got shafted. Standard.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 AM

sweet

now u just gotta be on the lookout for nunchuks and component cables like the rest of us
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet

now u just gotta be on the lookout for nunchuks and component cables like the rest of us

[/ QUOTE ]

is there any reason to get component cables? i thought wii didn't support hi def. i think i'm out of inputs on my tv too (360, comcast box)
Old 11-24-2006, 10:38 AM

I WANT A FREAKING NUNCHUK!!!! AHHHH!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Here's my Trip Report Hunting for a Wii.

It has a surprise ending. ZOMG!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I WANT A FREAKING NUNCHUK!!!! AHHHH!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

they brought out exactly 2.

only one lady bought one.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:45 PM

Honestly, I will never understand this infatuation. I mean, I'm pretty excited to get one...eventually? But damn, it'll still be in stores in a month or so. You people are odd.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I will never understand this infatuation. I mean, I'm pretty excited to get one...eventually? But damn, it'll still be in stores in a month or so. You people are odd.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do understand this infatuation, but I agree. There are like 3 games out for the Wii right now. Must wait 6 months for library to build.