Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 06:45 PM

Default (5$) Confessions of a losing player

Bought HoH 1&2, read them.
Started playing 1$ SNGs with a bankroll of 250$ just to get a feeling for the game. Played maybe 50 games, slighly on the winning side and decided I was comfortable enough moving up to 5$ which is the level that kind of matches the bankroll.
Quickly moved up to to 350$, snickered when people would fold on the button with 3BB when folded to.
Dropped down to 300$, snickered when someone would constantly call big bets with garbage.
I had it all figured out, played tight and agressive. I was the best player at every table, second or third best at worst.
Played some more staying at 300$ man I was running bad, but I played agressive.
At least I know I played better than most people at every table I played at....

... or so I thought.

This is no whining about running bad or bragging about running good. It's a simple conclusion I have come to:
I play badly.

Why on earth post it? I think I'm not alone. And I think I know why some players don't play as good as they could. For me, there were basically three reasons:

I was lazy, I was not just agressive but nuts, I read HoH 1&2. Read, not studied. But because I read it I thought I was ahead of the other players. Maybe I didn't understand or remember most of the concepts, but I had read them and they hadn't.

Why lazy? Well I never actually thought about the hands the other players could have, I just "knew". And if I didn't have a hand, well then it's obvious that outplaying the other guy wes the only option.

Now all of this will hopefully change and I will start by asking a simple question:
How can I keep track of my opponents (without using any software)?
I have started categorizing them roughly as:
- Calls to much -> push made hands stronger, never bluff
- Too tight -> Respect the bets, steal from them once the blinds are juicy enough, call them with position and bet them off their hands every now and then
- Good -> Avoid playing them OOP or with non premium hands
Other than that I only note if they tend to continuation bet or call continuation bets to see what I will do on the turn and if they are capable of "switching gears".

I still have to motivate myself to watch every hand and draw conclusions.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (5$) Confessions of a losing player

I think you're looking way too far in to the other players at this low of a level. You really don't even need reads to crush anything below a 60 dollar buy in. Time to start posting hands here & reading this forum. You'll find a lot more success than reading HoH again or trying to take notes on players who mostly won't ever be back at your tables again.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:58 PM

FloridaGator is 100% right.
Read this forum a lot.
I've olso read HOH I,II and it didn't improve my game as I thought it would.
Then I've started reading this forum and things changed a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Search for good posters on this forum and read their posts(TruFloridaGator is one of them )
Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM

It is a glib thing to say, but I think that realising that you're not a winning player and trying to figure out why is the first step to becoming one.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM

Go here http://www.pregopoker.com/ and sign up to play your 50 hands free. See how you do. Then come back here read the links in the FAQ and poke around the site. Read about ICM. Then go back in Dec. and see if you're improving.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I didn't have a hand, well then it's obvious that outplaying the other guy wes the only option.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the root of your problem. You cannot make a move on somebody that doesn't recognize what you're representing, and wouldn't fold even if he did.

Also, HoH is damn good. However, the end game examples in HoH2 are generally too aggressive for STT's. Due to the flat structures of STT's, you should be patient longer than Dan recommends. Also, the starting hands in HoH1 are a little too loose from every position. Tighten up a notch or two.

Dan also has no really good examples that I can remember about abusing the bubble as a big stack. You will learn about that here in this forum.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:08 PM

read and score yourself in hoh 3. you cant do the stuff really without having read his others but 1 and 2 let me just think i was good and so far HOH3 is making me a better player.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM

This is some good advice. I was actually thinking the HoH starting hands are too tight for the way I like to play, but I will reconsider.

The sentence you quoted was meant to be ironic btw., I was just trying too hard to make the greates plays everytime and simply could not back down.

All responses have been helpfull so far, thx. I will start posting hands soon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM

bump for update: getting better?