Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Default How do I figure out what I\'m doing differently?

My results the few months are much worse than normal (losing months 2 of my last 4, and 3 of my last 7 compared to 5 losing months in 3 years total). One reason may be that I can't play at Party anymore. I assume that the other reason is I'm playing differently than I used to. How do I figure out what it is I'm doing differently? My PT stats don't seem that off from normal. Help! I don't like losing.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: How do I figure out what I\'m doing differently?

Could be just changing sites. I had my first losing month ever after The Rapture but it was because I lost 4 homes and had to find a few new homes.

Plus - play HAS gottin tough the last few months but the fish are coming back in the past 2 weeks.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM

I did some deeper digging in PT and discovered that my Flop AF is significantly different for my two biggest losing months. For 2006 my Flop AF is 3.92. Through today in November, it is 6.44, and in August (my other big loser month) it was 2.63. One around 50% more aggressive, one around 50% less aggressive.

Comments? Could this be meaningful?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 PM

You don't say what game you're playing - limit or NL - and at what levels and which sites. If you're playing at Full Tilt, that's a rock garden.

Poker has gotten tougher. Many people who were steady winners in the past find themselves losing now. Quite a few used to win at limit, but no limit eludes them.

I wouldn't put too much stock into PT stats. In no limit,some people like to play super aggressive preflop, others like to limp a lot and then outplay - both styles can be winners, yet show radically different stats.

Losing Party was a blow, but hopefully Stars will evolve. In low stakes NL on Stars, you just don't see the maniacs building up huge stacks and blowing them like they did on Party. On the other hand, you see more people call all-ins with dubious holdings. So you have to change your game.

You might not be doing anything different, but the playing field has changed.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My results the few months are much worse than normal (losing months 2 of my last 4, and 3 of my last 7 compared to 5 losing months in 3 years total). One reason may be that I can't play at Party anymore. I assume that the other reason is I'm playing differently than I used to. How do I figure out what it is I'm doing differently? My PT stats don't seem that off from normal. Help! I don't like losing.

[/ QUOTE ]I find it useful to go through my hands during particularly bad sessions,find the big hands i lost,and use the hand recreation feature on PT.Many times i see that there was nothing i really couldve done to change the outcome.But ofton i find other hands where i really did make an error at a certain point in the hand.Sometimes after reviewing further i find that ive made this same error multiple times in losing these large pots,and can adjust my play accordingly.Having said all that,i agree with the other poster.I have been playing alot of limit lately,as it tends to be more mechanical, it is easier to make adjustments and find flaws like this.Its alot harder with NL,where there is more of an instinct factor,and alot more playing of your opponent regardless of your cards.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 PM

I'm playing the $0.50/$1 NL at FT and PS. I've never been successful at limit, but I only have played a few thousand hands.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing the $0.50/$1 NL at FT and PS. I've never been successful at limit, but I only have played a few thousand hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
$0.50/$1 NL at PS is pretty easy it seems to me...but if you are losing, move over to wpx (we need the fish, j/k)...play the $0.05/$0.10 NL...if you can beat that, then you can beat stars $0.50/$1...but I would go for the gold and try wpx $0.10/$0.25, that's equal to the toughest games of stars $0.50/$1...the key is, at these limits you get the same calibar of players but you lose less money (obviously you will not make much).

Also, tourneys are a great way to practive...don't analyze your game too harshly...follow the bank roll. And study what others do...at wpx you can find the long time winners (they stand out and you'll play them over and over again)...then copy that, it's not too hard...forget PT and the hud...just have fun. Do wpx for a week and if you turn 5bb/100 hands at NL $0.10/$0.25, then you are what is commonly referred to as a pro [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In my book.

i<3poker

PS - Just visited Stars for the first time in about 6 months...I was blown away! I like both wpx and stars! Booooo party, never liked you anyway (as a friend).