Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 PM

Default The good news, PPA Pres Bolcerek is friends with Pelosi....

Reports are that Michael Bolcerek is a friend of new house speaker Nancy Pelosi. They have had dinners and meetings in the past (prior to the PPA).

The PPA will now have a voice that goes straight to the leadership of the house. This is good news for poker player.

Maybe Michael can come on the board and clarify the PPA direction with the new leadership in congress.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: The good news, PPA Pres Bolcerek is friends with Pelosi....

[ QUOTE ]
Reports are that Michael Bolcerek is a friend of new house speaker Nancy Pelosi. They have had dinners and meetings in the past (prior to the PPA).

The PPA will now have a voice that goes straight to the leadership of the house. This is good news for poker player.

Maybe Michael can come on the board and clarify the PPA direction with the new leadership in congress.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bad news is that Nancy Pelosi stated in an email (posted on this forum) that she is against Internet gambling because "it has negatively affected the lives of many Americans" - or something very close to that. Yes, the former public relations consultant, with her lofty bachelor's degree from Trinity college, thinks Americans are too stupid be entrusted with the right to wager online, and that the government therefore should prohibit them from doing so. Don't get too excited about Nancy helping us out.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:31 PM

I'm not a big Pelosi fan (I used to live in SF) but this is indeed good news. Pelosi was a partisan doppelganger who had to moderate her views when she became minority leader. The wackos in SF believe she has moved too far to the right (lol). They will continually be sniping at her to pull funding for the war in Iraq and to legalize marijuana, etc. In the meantime, with only a failed Heimlich manuver and a clogged artery between her and the Presidency, she will be pulled in many different directions so I hope the poker carveout will get her attention.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:37 PM

She will end up just like all other Speakers. She will be the leader of her caucus and no longer interested in helping her constituents. She will become the main voice of the Democratic party. I dont think this is a good development for us. Have to wait for '08
Old 11-08-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big Pelosi fan (I used to live in SF) but this is indeed good news. Pelosi was a partisan doppelganger who had to moderate her views when she became minority leader. The wackos in SF believe she has moved too far to the right (lol). They will continually be sniping at her to pull funding for the war in Iraq and to legalize marijuana, etc. In the meantime, with only a failed Heimlich manuver and a clogged artery between her and the Presidency, she will be pulled in many different directions so I hope the poker carveout will get her attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first off -- I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though, as I don't think Communism is a very moderate approach.

The more I think about your post (and I do believe you) -- wow!! I mean, she used to be more left than she is now?!? Thank goodness for the Heimlich and cholesterol inhibiting drugs!

In all seriousness though, it's just hard for me to get excited over her possibly helping us out. At least Hastert publicly told Frist to go f*ck himself when Frist tried to sneak the gambling bill into a defense bill. Nancy is on record, in writing, stating that she voted for criminalizing Internet gambling because Americans are too stupid and reckless to control themselves, and that the government therefore should protect us from ourselves. That is the impart of her email. Period. I don't see her having an epiphany -- suddenly distinguishing poker from all the other gambling that us helpless sheep are so easily lured into.

But like I said, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least Hastert publicly told Frist to go f*ck himself when Frist tried to sneak the gambling bill into a defense bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that it was John Warner, not Hastert.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least Hastert publicly told Frist to go f*ck himself when Frist tried to sneak the gambling bill into a defense bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that it was John Warner, not Hastert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking that, and I think you're right.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad news is that Nancy Pelosi stated in an email (posted on this forum) that she is against Internet gambling because "it has negatively affected the lives of many Americans"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully Michael can convince her that poker is different than your run of the mill gambling.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, with only a failed Heimlich manuver and a clogged artery between her and the Presidency, she will be pulled in many different directions so I hope the poker carveout will get her attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket aces would also do the trick.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:37 PM

having a direct phone line to her certainly helps, and over 70 of her fellow dems in the house voted no on the gambling bill.