Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 02:31 AM

Default How to adapt to micro-limits?

Hello everyone!

I am playing micro-limits for more than 5000 hands (with PT)now. To get better i did read the following books:
- Poker for Dummies ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
- The Theory of Poker
- Small Stakes Hold 'em
- Getting started in Hold 'em (not finished yet)

I Have general dificulties which ideas can give you Advantage in a "typical" micro-Limits game. I plan to post here questions over a long time as i reread and rereread these books. For now i will finish with the first:

The Miller books say there is a Loose Style around these Tables. I am playing at Party-Poker and since i use Pocker-Tracker to track my Opponent i find there are not many Loose players there. Is it just Because they allow no more americans? Furthermore a typical table may look like this: 2 TA-A, 2/3-Tight, 2-3 sL and somewhat agressive players, and if it is a "good"? Table there are 2-3 Lose players around. When can you think of a table as a good table? And how can i adapt to the tight / Slighty Loose (agressive) playing Style?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-11-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Re: How to adapt to micro-limits?

for general questions like this you should consider investing in Theory of Poker.

As you're still just starting out, consider the following when playing a hand:
1)what does my opponent have?
2)what do I want him to do with it?
3)what are the odds that I can cause him to do that?

Also, look at basic countertechniques for obvious opponent mistakes.

If your opponent does A, then you should do more of B. Exmaples:

If your opponent calls too much, you should bet for value more and bluff less.
If you opponent bluffs too much, you should call down more and fold less.
If your opponent folds too much, you should bluff more and call down less.
If your opponent gives too many free cards, you should check with marginal hands more often and bluff less. Also, you should just bet into him for value as opposed to checkraising.

reread SSHE and get theory of poker. Post hands in this forum and respond to lots of hands as well. Dont be afraid to offer up bad advice. You'll be corrected and can continue down a more profitable path.

Also, some dudes play 5000 hands in the blink of an eye. Do a search for a Qtip post about the long run. You haven't even begun to begin yet, but that's ok. Find someone to discuss hands with over IM and get sweated when you can. That'll start you up.

also, read this.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 AM

Add cold calling to Guruman's list. I find that a lot of the players that cold call preflop frequently are some of the worst.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 AM

Reading this forum will teach you the general ABC style of play that is very effective at beating micro limit games, even if you don't have sharp reads or understand much theory. Playing lots of hands will sharpen your reads.

Multitabling is really good, too, since you (a) get used to playing several tables of limit, which is very useful, (b) don't get as bored as playing one table, (c) don't get paranoid by concentrating on the same 9 people for a half hour and (d) play many hands, so you can get your sample size up, so you can show others your stats. And if you learn it at micro limits, you don't get intimidated by multitabling at higher limits.

And do you have GameTime+? If not, you should download that (it's free). It gives you the stats of everyone at your tables automatically.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 AM

Multitabling is good for the reasons previously mentioned. But i think youŽll learn a lot more if you just one table. YouŽll have more time to think what youŽre doing, observe others (which is something i myself like to do) and write notes about them, develop hand reading skills... You can try them both and see which fits you better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2006, 09:14 AM

speaking as a newbie myself... Last time I played at Party it was hard to find loose passive tables. PokerStars is better and also has a good choice of microlimit games. Play the opponents the way Guruman describes above and just get out of hands that have a TA in them unless you're sure you're ahead, they will only be playing 15% or so of their hands anyway so you won't miss out on much.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 AM

First i Like to thank all for answering. There were some quite good tips around.

@ guruman: thnaks for tip of calling down a person who bluffs to much. In "Theory of hold'em" (p 270) the way to exploit this mistake is said to induce a bluff, then call. I guess in micro.Limits the inducing should only be done after the flop, since not betting a good hand on the turn and river will cost (probably?) more then checking. Aside that i should always protect mediocre, vulnerable hands. Is it a good estimate to rate the pot against a bluffing player with only 1 big bet more when dertiming Pot odds?

@ vickreyAuction and Riku: I prefer Riku's statement because i like concentraiting and taking notes about my opponent. my Plan was to move up to multitable when i show a positive expectation. I am aware of the Problem of going tilt after folding for half an hour or more (especially there is nothing to note about my opponents).
Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM

hey B'ing,

First, the book is "Theory of Poker" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was really just reciting a lot of that from memory, but the fundamentals that are there on those three pages are the basis for good play at all levels and all forms of poker. They should be tattooed evey poker player's forehead.

Essentially, if you manage to execute everything on pages 270-272 in every hand of poker that you play then you'll become a devastatingly efficient poker player. The hard part is execution: First you have to get a read on a player, then you have to read that player's tendancies as they relate to the board and the action, then you have to trust your read and make the appropriate play. Its increcibly difficult to do both accurately and consistently, and its why poker is so complex and rewarding.

I think when DS wrote "induce" and then call a bluff, he was referring to the play of bluff induction on the river. I actually found that this play is more effective at micro limits than at higher limits, because often a bluff induction is pretty transparent and it takes a weaker player to walk into it.

By call down more, I meant really to just get to showdown in the face of bluffmonkey aggression with weaker-but-showdownworthy type hands like bottom pair or a good ace high on a paired board. Vs tighter players you can usually pitch in the same spots.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:37 PM

I kind of skimmed through the responses, but if it wasn't mentioned, "Small Stakes Hold Em" is required reading for playing well at these levels.

I know you've already invested in three others, but that is the one that can not be missed. Can not be missed. I repeat it because it needs emphasis. Put down your others until you finish it.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks again for mentioning "SSHE". As most of you missed i already have it on my List (dont be offended). And since you all think it is usefull, bseides I do, i will actually study it like its recommended in there. Means: Reading the Questions about once a week and the whole book ance a month.

Mike