Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Where do you take your stud action now?

I saw a thread in here not too long ago where somebody was asking where to go for low limit stud action. I haven't seen an adequate response yet so I'm starting this new thread because I think what I have to say is important at this point in time and pretty accurate too.

I'm not affiliated with anybody.

If you are playing 1/2 and or 2/4 stud:
1. Stop playing at Pokerstars where they give virtually nothing back to their players. Do some research and find out what I mean.
2. Go to Absolute between 3PM-3AM for decent to good action at 1/2 and 2/4 level. The games are just as beatable and your action is much more "appreciated".

I've made a living playing stud for 6 of the last 8 years. I lost my "real" job of two years last December and had to rebuild my bankroll from scratch. When I was playing 1/2 and 2/4 stud last spring, Absolute was second only to Crypto when I played. Ongame was 3rd because of the rake, and I think I never played Pokerstars. I played a couple bonuses off on party during graveyard. This is the path I followed after (hopefully) thorough research and little experimentation. The best case scenario manifested itself immediately. That’s why I’m advocating Absolute at this point, since Crypto and Ongame are no longer available to U.S. players. There is no affiliation between me and them as previously stated.

The next thing I have to say is that World Poker Exchange is the place that all serious players (especially professionals) and recreational players alike, should be putting signicant time into to start and prop up games. They are pretty much at the top of the list for "incentives". If you don't like shorthanded and just want to find a "good game" you'll be dissapointed as of late but, this is important, don't give up! Keep checking every few weeks. Serious players are nuts if they aren't in there putting some time in every week. I go in there sometimes and prop the 1/2 just to see if it gets full, and it does occasionally. A few nights ago I 2-tabled a 6 handed and a 3 handed 5/10 game, it was only 1-2 hours but it‘s definitely something to take note of. If just a couple more people try to build these shorthanded games more often, the place will eventually get rolling. Those of you who were playing online around 2000 know what I'm talking about.
The landscape will probably change. New sites are going to appear and some places may increase their player incentives (Ultimate Bet comes to mind) to change this opinion radically overnight. But in the here and now this is how I see it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Where do you take your stud action now?

Ongame is still open to US players, you just cant make any new deposits.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 PM

I thought they said they're shutting down to U.S. players on nov 16 or something like that. I got a couple emails from pokeroom and another one saying everything above $25 was going to be sent in the mail to US account holders in a couple weeks. Full Contact said they're keeping Americans, but that they will be switching networks. I'm talking about sites who at least claim to be here for the long haul.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 AM

I play a lot on WPEX, mostly hold em. But if anyone is interested in starting a stud game at a regular time one night a week or whatever, let me know. If a few show, people will come. I'd prefer 10-20, but I'd play 5-10 if there was more interest. Just breaks up monotony of all limit hold em.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM

does absolute have anything above 1/2? i've been at full tilt and they seem to be consistently getting 5/10 and 8/16 going the last week or so.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 PM

I too am a former Crypto site stud player/advocate, and was rather concerned that I would be unable to find an adequate replacement for their 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10 stud games. However, as I posted earlier this week, I opened an account at FTP on Oct. 7 and to date I have found it to be a pretty good substitute.

I completely agree with you about PS. I've had an account there for over two years now and despite the fact that I was a consistent winner at the other 3-4 sites I was playing during that time (regardless of bonuses, rakeback and other benefits), I've never been able to manage to be much better than a break-even player at PS. The fact that not only could I win at other sites without the benefit of bonuses, rakeback, etc., but also received these extra benefits on top of my winnings, just made PS that much more EV-. I've given up trying to figure out why this is and making adjustments to my game when I play at PS, and instead now just rarely play there anymore other than an occasional tournament.

As for WPEX, I haven't opened an account there yet, but probably will in the not-too-distant future after I have cleared my initial sign-up bonus from FTP.

As an aside, as a former Crytpo player, have you received any of your money from them yet? I've neither received a check that was promised me from Interpoker four weeks ago, nor have I received a transfer to my Neteller account from SunPoker that was promised me two weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:04 PM

I agree with OP. Absolute is a great deal for low limit action. $1/$2 is always there, $2/$4 during prime time or whenever I sit down for a few min. Making $1K/mo just in bonus and unmentionable is doable even at these limits.

Higher than $2/$4 is difficult although I have been able to get $3/$6 games going. $5/$10 and up usually only heads up action if anything.

Still, for low limit all you need is a $10 pot for a bonus point, 100 points gets you $10 and, unlike other sites, your bonus isn't deducted from anything else you may have. Easy money. If you're playing $1/$2 or $2/$4, you really shouldn't be playing anywhere else, unless WPEX has a game going.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play a lot on WPEX, mostly hold em. But if anyone is interested in starting a stud game at a regular time one night a week or whatever, let me know. If a few show, people will come. I'd prefer 10-20, but I'd play 5-10 if there was more interest. Just breaks up monotony of all limit hold em.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

The time to do it would be on Friday and Saturday afternoons. The 5/10 actually was 6 handed for a moment at 12:54AM eastern Saturday. If everybody who reads this just checks in early friday and saturday nights every week it will eventually get rolling. Really the most important thing is to get 2/4 started up to draw a base of recreational players. So if your in there just to play 5/10 or higher and there's a fragile 2/4, consider throwing 20 minutes in or something. And remember this will probably take a while so just keep checking.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does absolute have anything above 1/2? i've been at full tilt and they seem to be consistently getting 5/10 and 8/16 going the last week or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2/4 is starting to run almost constantly. The 3/6 flares up every few days and the 5/10 is rare and I've never seen it get above 4 handed.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 AM

As an aside, as a former Crytpo player, have you received any of your money from them yet? I've neither received a check that was promised me from Interpoker four weeks ago, nor have I received a transfer to my Neteller account from SunPoker that was promised me two weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt have anything in those places when things clogged up.