Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 AM

Default new inn the game!

hi,
Im realy new too the game, and im from norway. could I have worse starting conditions? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

so my question is: should I start playing limit or nl?
any starting tips?

and I want too know what it means too be a LPC player, and a LAC player.

and this expresion 1.8BB/100 hands, what should it tell me when im reading it, the same goes for UTG is 24.5/3.28/1.67, I know what UTG means, but not the numbers behind?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: new inn the game!

Try asking this in the Beginners forum.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 PM

First off, welcome to the forum.

[ QUOTE ]

so my question is: should I start playing limit or nl?
any starting tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a matter of taste, really. If you're going to play online, then it's really optional. If I'm not mistaken, most live play in Europe is pot-limit, so if you want to play live, you might want to learn PL/NL strategies.

To get you started, look at the sticky message at the top of this forum. There are plenty of links to look through.

[ QUOTE ]

and I want too know what it means too be a LPC player, and a LAC player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume you're referring to abbreviations like LAG or LP, etc. The "L" means "loose" which refers to players to play many hands, often too many. "T" means "tight" and is the opposite of loose - that player plays few hands. "AG" or "A" refers to "aggressive", which means a player tends to bet and raise as opposed to checking and calling. The "P" usually means "passive" is the opposite of aggressive. You'll find explanations of this in the links in the sticky I mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]

and this expresion 1.8BB/100 hands, what should it tell me when im reading it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually a reference to win rate. A player may win 1.8 Big Bets per 100 hands played. You may also see this reference as BB/hour, which is what it looks like. Again, you'll find explanations in the links in the sticky.

[ QUOTE ]

, the same goes for UTG is 24.5/3.28/1.67, I know what UTG means, but not the numbers behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those numbers are from Poker Tracker, a common database program used to track online play. The first number is how often a player enters a pot voluntarily, the second is how often that player raises given as a percentage of hands played, and the last number is an aggression number calculated by the Poker Tracker program. It's basically a snapshot of a player. You'll see it around a lot.

Again, look at the sticky and enjoy yourself. Ask all the questions you like.

To get you started, check out The Poker Wiki.

Regards,

T
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this expresion 1.8BB/100 hands, what should it tell me when im reading it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi delpiero,
The 1.88BB/100hands is an expression of a player's winrate. The BB means Big Bet and is the preferred unit of measure. Meaning that if you were playing $1/$2 Hold'em and your winrate was 1.88 BB /100 hands, you'd be winning $3.76 ($2 (the big bet) times 1.88) per 100 hands on average.