Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Quick definitions questions

Two words keep appearing in posts on forums and i am unsure as to what the actual definitions are.

Float- am i right in thinking this is just seeing a flop etc in postion with any holding looking to outplay opponent?

Squeeze-not sure what this means?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Quick definitions questions

Float is calling a bet on an early street (flop or turn) with teh plan of betting on the next street. It's useful in picking off C-bets. There is a post in the microNL forum that should help explain when and how to use it. I think it's in the digest.

I'm not too sure how to explain squeeze, I'll let someone else handle that.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:13 PM

I believe Harrington describes the Squeeze Play in volume 1 or 2. I'll look later unless someone comes along first with the definition.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM

thanks khaos4k,can someone have ago at explaining squeeze then plz?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM

I'll have a go at squeeze although this is off the top of my head.

I'm not sure of the number of players required but I'll use three in my example. Player A bets, Player B calls and Player C raises. Now Player A is in a pickle because he has been squeezed. It might be easy to call the raise or reraise it if Player B was not in the pot. But that extra player causes a problem for Player A.

I think this is the method used when two players are colluding and team up to pressure a third player in the pot.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Squeezing is move, not a collusion thing. If player A raises and B calls, player C reraises a pretty significant amount with any reasonable hand. This pressures player A because there are two players left to act after instead of H2H and assumes player B is weak because he didn't raise over the top of player A.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Squeezing is move, not a collusion thing. If player A raises and B calls, player C reraises a pretty significant amount with any reasonable hand. This pressures player A because there are two players left to act after instead of H2H and assumes player B is weak because he didn't raise over the top of player A.

[/ QUOTE ]
Player B's call does not signify weakness since Player C still has to act. That's why a raise by Player C signifies even more strength and puts Player A in a tough spot. Player C should not do this with only a reasonable hand. He would do it with either a powerhouse or as a sophisticated bluff if Players A and B are capable of folding good hands.

And I'm not saying squeezing is collusion, I'm saying two guys who are colluding use squeezing to freeze out Player A.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:09 PM

The squeeze is a very sophisticate move I think that requires the player to be at a very high level. The problem for the original raiser is that player B may have been slowplaying as well as the strength player C is showing. Most of the time, player A will be out of position for the remainder of the hand as well. Most low level players do not take position into account and are not willing to lay down a hand when they put money in the pot on that street. This reduces the effectiveness of the move at the lower levels. HOH gives the best example and explanation of the move.