Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Does any of this inspire you to enter politics?

I know a lot of people who would obviously say "f' politics, it's BS", but doesn't that make you want to get involved?

I'm reading Barack Obama's book right now. Combine that with all this BS going on, and entering politics is defenitely something I am considering.

I've already contacted a political consultant. If it seems feasible, the first step for me would be the State House.

I've got the money and the resume, but who knows if it would be something I could pull off. And it wouldn't be all about poker. I've been through this BS with Arthur Andersen (being taken out by the Bush DOJ for charges later tossed out) and now the poker thing.

You obviously can't do much about poker in the state house, but it's a start. If I can get my wife to agree and I can assemble a reasonable team of advisors, I'm ready to go.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Does any of this inspire you to enter politics?

There are more ways than running for office to influence the political process. That said, if you've got the resume, resources and drive, making a run at a state level office can be considered.

Seeing things from the inside, I'm not sure I'd ever want to be the person out front. Course other days, I get pissed that I can't do things exactly my way and it makes me want to look at a run.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 AM

i thought about it, for about 2 seconds. i would hate to be a politician. besides, i dont lie, cheat, or steal near enough to be "qualified" for the position.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:40 AM

Look at all the political activism this thing inspired. Hundreds of people called dozens of elected representatives, wrote letters, made cogent arguments, etc. 90% of Americans opposed this bill. There wasn't even a grass roots push from a "vocal minority" which often contributes to bad laws getting passed. Just a couple of douchebag senators.

So what happens? Carefully worded missives are answered by three line form letters or ignored entirely. The bill is attached to a port security bill to force its passage against the will of the vast majority. And millions are still playing poker on line without hassle.

You're kidding yourself if you think that even getting yourself elected to the Senate--or for that matter the presidency--can prevent stupid [censored] from happening. If anything, this whole experience should sour people on the political process, and encourage people to act outside the system to do what you feel like doing regardless of what our government says.

Here's a thought: people have been working for decades to legalize pot. Billions of manhours invested. On the other side, the government has spent billions of dollars and hours fighting pot. Where has all of this gotten us? Nowhere. Pot is still illegal, but I can buy it with ease.

If you want to smoke pot (or play poker), what makes more sense: investing tons of your time and effort in the miniscule hope that you'll change the law, or just [censored] doing it?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to smoke pot (or play poker), what makes more sense: investing tons of your time and effort in the miniscule hope that you'll change the law, or just [censored] doing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could lose my job for smoking pot. I'll be damned if I get arrested and lose my job for playing poker.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously can't do much about poker in the state house,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can.

Unregulated gambling (online poker) is illegal in all States, AFAIK. Those State gambling laws are what the UIGEA harnesses and enforces. If we want a legal "exemption" for online poker, it has to happen at the state level.

The new Federal law already has a built-in "exemption" or "carveout" for a State with legal online poker.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously can't do much about poker in the state house,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can.

Unregulated gambling (online poker) is illegal in all States, AFAIK. Those State gambling laws are what the UIGEA harnesses and enforces. If we want a legal "exemption" for online poker, it has to happen at the state level.

The new Federal law already has a built-in "exemption" or "carveout" for a State with legal online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have a small effect, but passing a gambling bill at the state level in the bible belt (georgia) would be tough. But, like I said, I'd never do it for one issue alone (poker).
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 AM

MAGCFO - Congrats on your possible bid to run, it doesn't matter what level you start at, develope a thick skin, because the comments will get much worse, and less informed than even here.

I think everyone knows where I stand - this issue is great - look at the donations that pedersen (az) has recieved in just the last few days, if you want geniuine change it will have to start at the local and state level, then to the federal level. It's not really about poker (although this is what started it) It's about the shady way it was done, and no one stood up to it, at least that is my 2 cents.

Good Luck Magcfo
Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Thanks addictontilt. I'll keep everyone posted. Of course, there aren't elections again until 2008. I'll need that long to get things together.

Running for state house seat is not that difficult. a lot of times the seat aren't highly contested.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 AM

What state would you be running in?