Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Thanksgiving Recipes

Okay, it's only 11 days away, so let's post your favorite Thanksgiving recipes. Or, if you have a fondly remembered dish, but have no clue how to make it, just ask and we'll see who can come up with it. Need help with a turkey, post here. Got a turkey alternative, let's hear it.

Waistlines everywhere are waiting!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Thanksgiving Recipes

For a moist & juicy turkey, be sure to brine it.

Also, cook it until it's done. Not until those stupid (and unreliable) pop up things pop up.

Alton Brown turkey recipe
Old 11-13-2006, 12:31 AM

Snickerdoodle cookies:

* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1 cup of butter
* 2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup of butter and 2 eggs. Pour in the snickerdoodle mix, and stir until a dough forms. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. 3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be light brown. Cool on wire racks.

I also put a tiny bit of vanilla extract in. And in the cinnamon/sugar mix I use a bit of nutmeg.

I make this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are really good w/ hot cocoa or hot apple cider (hot toddy's too!) Oh wow. I'm gonna make these this weekend.

I also love the greenbean casserole recipe on the back of the French's onion container (except w/ cream of celery instead of cream of mushroom) sometimes I also add a can of sliced potatoes w/ it.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 AM

Everybody claims to have the best cranberry sauce. (If you're one of those who makes an orange juice/cranberry sauce, I say the 1950as ended 50 years ago. Blech!) Sorry, but this is the winner, even if I didn't invent it. It's from Food & Wine Nov. 2000.

Quince and Cranberry Compote

2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 pound quinces or Bosc pears--peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
One 12-ounce bag of cranberries

Directions

In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the apple juice with the sugar and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the quinces and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes. (Bosc pears only need 20 minutes.) Add the cranberries and bring to a simmer. Cook until the compote is thick, about 20 minutes. (I find this sometimes takes as little as 10 minutes.) Discard the cinnamon stick before serving.

MAKE AHEAD The compote can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

I've made this with both pears and quinces. The quinces are better, but they're so expensive and hard to find, the pears work just fine for most occasions. It's not much of a step down, people really love this one in my family. In fact, when my sauce was banned from a family celebration last year by a cook who had the dreaded orange juice/cranberry sauce, my wife was so pissed that on the way home she insisted we never go to Thanksgiving again where we can't have the sauce. That's how good it is.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:01 AM

In search of...

A really good stuffing recipe. I have never found one that I like well enough to declare as the ultimate recipe. Cannot contain oysters or pork, it has to remain kosher to keep certain people happy. I can usually work around pork things, but oysters are tough to substitute for.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In search of...

A really good stuffing recipe. I have never found one that I like well enough to declare as the ultimate recipe. Cannot contain oysters or pork, it has to remain kosher to keep certain people happy. I can usually work around pork things, but oysters are tough to substitute for.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two basic resipes I got off of Food Network at some point. I like them a lot:

Basic Recipe - Easy
12 cups 1/2-inch cubes homemade style white or whole wheat bread (about 1 pound)
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

In a preheated 400 degree F oven, toast bread cubes 5 to 7 minutes or until barely golden.
In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onion and celery over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a bowl and add bread cubes, herbs, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Toss well and adjust seasoning. Transfer to baking dish and bake in Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes until heated through and crust forms on top.

Cornbread Stuffing - Easy
12 cups 1/2-inch cubes cornbread (about 1 pound)
1/2 pound andouille, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

In a preheated 400 degree F oven toast bread cubes 5 to 7 minutes or until barely golden.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage over moderately low heat, stirring, until cooked through. Add onions and celery and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a bowl and add bread cubes, herbs, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Toss well and adjust seasoning and bake.

These are really easy. Also, if you're ever looking for recipes go here. I LOVE this site. It's a bunch of people's own recipes and I've never been let down by using one.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Okay, what wine to serve? Personally, I like red with turkey, but you can do anything, within limits of course. (No oaky Chardonnays, for example.) Here are some holiday picks from the pink, red, white and sparkling categories from The Wine Merchant in St. Louis. (I think sparkling would be an especially interesting choice. The sparkling Alsace may be added as the first wine of the night on my menu. Undecided on a red, although a Zin would be an interesting pick. It would stand up to most anything and the spiciness of Zin would be an interesting addition. Hmmmm.)

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble: Wines for Turkey Day...
Thanksgiving Day is right around the corner. It's the biggest wine drinking holiday in the US and can be a challenging meal to pair up with wine. Don't worry though, we're professionals and our Award-Winning Staff can guide you in the right direction. Here are some suggestions for Turkey Day, all on sale...

Rosé Wines for Thanksgiving...
We love these delicious, vibrant, dry wines. Yes, they're pink but they're also fresh, lively and loaded with character. And they're perfectly suited for the bird...

2005 Chateau Guiot Rosé
(Rosé Wine, France, Rhone Valley)
On Sale $9.99 Save !!!
"Dark color for a Rosé. Vibrant. Sweet, ripe nose with spice and sappy red fruits. Smells like a red wine! Delicious with incredible balance. Long finish. Imported by Bobby Kacher."
-John Nash, The Wine Merchant, Ltd.

2005 Mas de Bressades Rosé
On Sale $11.99 Save !!!
"Dark color for a rosé! Bright nose, red cherry, plum and fresh cream. Ripe fruit that's lively and enticing with a delicious balance. Amazing Rosé. Imported by Bobby Kacher."

2005 Chateau Mourgues du Gres "Les Galets Rosé"
On Sale $13.99 Save !!!
"This is a serious rosé made from Syrah and Grenache grapes. The nose is loaded with fruit and notes of creme de cassis and spice. It's richly layered on the palate. Close your eyes and taste it and you'll swear that it's a red wine. The finish is long and satisfying. Serious rosé. Imported by Peter Weygandt."

Sparkling Wines for Thanksgiving...
We love sparkling wines and lament the fact that in the US they're mainly served as a celebratory toast or as an aperitif before the meal. They work great at the table though too. Thanksgiving is a celebration. Why not pour bubbly and celebrate your feast with style! We love the following...

NV Segura Viudas Cava Reserva Brut
(Sparkling Wine, Spain, Penedes)
On Sale $8.99 Save !!!
"Most people are surprised when we tell them that this is our largest selling sparkling wine. Segura Viudas' Cava is made in the same method as prestigiously priced Champagnes from France. It's crisp and elegant with tiny, pinpoint bubbles and a lively finish."

NV Muré Cremant d’Alsace
(Sparkling Wine, France, Alsace)
On Sale $19.99 Save !!!
“Fresh lemon and yeast aromas can be found in the nose of the well-made Non-Vintage Cremant d'Alsace. Light to medium-bodied, it reveals ripe white fruit flavors, copious tiny bubbles, and an appealingly vinous quality.”
-Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate

NV Marie Weiss Champagne Brut
(Sparkling Wine, France, Champagne)
On Sale $35.99 Save !!!
“This is the best, value-priced Champagne on the market. A fine, elegant, complex bouquet, round and full with excellent structure. Perfect with a meal. A new Merch Staff favorite. Imported by Peter Weygandt.”

NV Bollinger Champagne Brut Special Cuvée
On Sale $39.99 Save !!!
"Complex aromas and flavors of rose, grilled nuts, citrus and a gently oxidative note course through this muscular, full-bodied bubbly. Despite its power, there's a gracefulness. The aftertaste combines citrus and spice."
-Rated 93/100 The Wine Spectator

NV Doquet Champagne Clos des Mesnil Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs
On Sale $49.99 Save !!!
“Bright citrus, fresh pear and sweet butter aromas are clean and expressive, with mineral and seashore aromas adding complexity. Firm and well-focused on the palate, with a supple texture and bright, creamy orchard fruit flavors.”
-The International Wine Cellar

NV Lamiable Champagne Grand Cru
On Sale $49.99 Save !!!
“One of importer Bobby Kacher’s new Champagne houses. Three years in the making as he tweaked his cuvée from this tiny producer. 100% Pinot Noir from Grand Cru vineyards. Bright color. Tiny, pinpoint bubbles. Lush, deep nose with notes of flowers and spice. Rich and creamy with a stunning, persistent finish. This is great juice.”

White Wines for Thanksgiving...
If you'd like to serve white wine with the bird then you need full flavor, but also balance and finesse. Complexity. Nuance. No oak needed here. So forget that oaky Chardonnay this Thanksgiving and serve something with style and balance. You'll impress your relatives with your sophisticated, worldly knowledge...

2005 Domaine des Cassagnoles
(White Wine, France, Gascogny)
E-mail Price $7.99 Save !!!
"At first glance this just looks like another quaffer, but wait, there's more than meets the eye. This tremendous bargain is a staff favorite when it comes to fresh crisp white wine. It tastes like a Loire Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre anyone?) but is made from a blend of Colombard, Ugni Blanc, and Gros Manseng. We know, these are not your garden variety white wine grapes but the proof is in the bottle. Cassagnoles is a consistent Gold Medal winner in Paris and Eauze (the local wine competition) as well as garnering three stars and the much envied Coup de Coeur in Guide Hachette, France's most prestigious wine guide. Taste and believe! Imported by Peter Weygandt!"

2005 Gournier Viognier
(White Wine, France, Languedoc)
On Sale $9.99 Save !!!
“This delicious and unique white has heady aromas of ripe apricots, orange blossoms, flowers, cream and spices. It’s a terrific alternative to Chardonnay because it also has a rich full body, creamy texture and moderate acidity. Delicious. Imported by Bobby Kacher.”

2005 Chateau Calabre Montravel
(White Wine, France, Bordeaux)
On Sale $10.99 Save !!!
“Broad, rich, and expressive, this blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon is an excellent value from a satellite region of Bordeaux. Medium-bodied with a tangy, refreshing finish. Imported by Bobby Kacher."

2004 Bloom Riesling Signature
(White Wine, Germany, Mosel)
On Sale $12.99 Save !!!
"This tasty German Riesling is a winner. Yes, it's slightly sweet but there's a nice balance to the wine thanks to its refreshing, natural acidity. A crowd pleaser."

2004 René Muré Riesling Tradition
(White Wine, France, Alsace)
On Sale $16.99 Save !!!
"This dry Riesling from Alsace is delicious. It's got great balance and style and is suited perfectly for your Turkey Day feast. Imported by Bobby Kacher."

2005 Portier Quincy
(White Wine, France, Loire Valley)
On Sale $18.99 Save !!!
“This is really lovely. 100% Sauvignon Blanc. Tastes like Sancerre at a fraction of the price. Ripe fruit: citrus, pear and white peach aromas. There are minerals and flint in the nose too. It’s surprisingly ripe (2005 is off the charts, a great vintage all over France) with excellent balance. Imported by Bobby Kacher.”

2004 Ehrhart Geurztraminer Herrenweg
(White Wine, France, Alsace)
On Sale $22.99 Save !!!
"This small producer farms organically and produces delicious, classic wines. We love Gewurztraminer and the bold flavors of Thanksgiving will mesh perfectly with this exotic, aromatic, seductive wine. Imported by Bobby Kacher."

2002 Tulocay Chardonnay Carneros “Double T Ranch”
(White Wine, California, Carneros)
E-mail Price $22.99 Save !!!
“Hooray! No oak! This is very much in the style that many of the best Italian white winemakers use, although this is light years away from Pinot Grigio. The idea is to let the fruit shine without undue human interference. Half the wine undergoes a secondary, or malolactic, fermentation, so it doesn't come out in the tutti-fruity style that is popular among many California wineries. Golden color. Creamy texture; hints of fennel and lemon zest. Rich and ripe with spice notes in the finish adding complexity. The grapes come from steeply terraced vineyards in the hills of Carneros that experience cooler summer temperatures that preserve a healthy natural acidity. Outstanding.”

2004 Alphonse Mellot Sancerre "Les Romains Vieilles Vignes"
(White Wine, France, Loire Valley)
On Sale $22.99 Save !!!
"This wine is a selection from the excellent American wine importer Peter Weygandt (he cherry picks his producers of their best juice...) and is intriguing with complex aromas. Lots of ripe citrus fruit; key lime, lemon and ruby red graperuit, floral notes and minerals too. There are layers of similar flavors on the palate and it really grabs your attention with it's creamy, succulent, complex finish. It just keeps on going. Stunning."

Red Wines for Thanksgiving...
If red wine is your ticket for Thanksgiving then we suggest something soft and supple with ripe flavors and a silky presence. Here are some excellent red wine recommendations...

2005 Georges Duboeuf Morgon "Flower Label"
(Red Wine, France, Burgundy)
On Sale$9.99 Save !!!
"The 2005 Morgon bursts forth with massive doses of waxy black fruits. Broad, suave, and satin-textured, this is a fleshy, concentrated wine. Its powerful core of fruit, principally dark cherries and blackberries, lingers in its long finish. Projected maturity: now-2013."
-Rated 91/100 Pierre Rovani, The Wine Advocate

2005 Georges Duboeuf Brouilly "Domaine de la Perriere"
On Sale$10.99 Save !!!
"Revealing delicate black cherry aromas, the recently bottled 2005 Brouilly Domaine de la Perriere is a muscular wine armed with impressive quantities of black fruits. Medium to full-bodied and concentrated, this structured effort is big, broad, and filled with satiny layers of blackberries. Drink it between 2008 and 2014."
-Rated 91/100 Pierre Rovani, The Wine Advocate

2005 Georges Duboeuf Morgon "Domaine de Mont Chavy"
On Sale$10.99 Save !!!
"Wonderful scents of violets, blueberries and black cherries emanate from the glass of the 2005 Morgon Domaine de Mont Chavy. Medium to full-bodied and sensual, it coats the taster’s palate with copious quantities of spices, grapes, cherries, bilberries, and blackberries. Exhibiting outstanding purity and density of fruit as well as length, this Morgon is a candidate for drinking over the next 8 years."
-Rated 92/100 Pierre Rovani, The Wine Advocate

2004 Dickson's Mill Zinfandel Special Reserve
(Red Wine, California, Napa Valley)
On Sale$11.99 Save !!!
"This is a new discovery for us and an exciting find. This is a classic Napa Valley Zin. Bold, jammy fruit with hints of spice and earth. Richly layered fruit and a silky finish. Great value."

2005 Wallace Brook Pinot Noir
(Red Wine, Oregon, Willamette Valley)
On Sale $17.99 Save !!!
"A perennial Merch favorite. This comes from hillside vineyards in the northern end of Oregon's Willamette Valley. Aged in new French oak barrels, it shows a complex nose of plum, spice and vanilla followed by ripe cherries and raspberries. The round, supple mouthfeel is complemented by soft tannins and a balanced finish. Perfect with Turkey and trimmings."

Lazy Creek Table Wine
(Red Wine, California, Anderson Valley)
On Sale $18.99 Save !!!
"100% Pinot Noir here from a small (2500 cases) winery in California's Anderson Valley. Winemaker/owner/vineyard manager (he really does it all) Josh Chandler has a magical touch with Pinot. This is an exotic Pinot Noir with black cherry fruit and notes of earthy spice. The finish is long and creamy. Very limited."

2004 Desaunay-Bissey Pinot Noir "Vieilles Vignes"
On Sale $19.99 Save !!!
"This is a beauty. 100% PInot Noir from France's Burgundy region. You know, the good stuff. Old vines supply the grapes for this bottling. It's ripe, rich, silky and seductive. Better get two bottles as the first will go quickly. Imported by Peter Weygandt. Very limited (four cases for the State of Missouri)."

2002 Tulocay Winery Pinot Noir "Nord Family Vineyard"
On Sale $25.99 Save !!!
"Will Nord is one of the premier longtime Napa Valley viticulturists. The vineyard is located on the Napa side of Carneros, an area respected throughout the wine world as perfect for Pinot. As you know, we love French Burgundy, and this comes awfully close. The color is deceptive. Its light, brickish hue hardly prepares the nose and palate for an explosion of flavors and the finish is pure silk. We love it."

2003 Nalle Zinfandel Dry Creek
(Red Wine, California, Sonoma Valley)
On Sale $25.99 Save !!!
"Doug Nalle makes elegant, stylish Zins that remain under the radar of the wine critics. His '03 has a classic Zinfandel nose of black-raspberries and spices. It's graceful and has a medium to full-bodied texture, and delicious flavors bursting with ripe fruit. Seductive Zinfandel."

2000 Tulocay Winery Zinfandel "Amador"
On Sale $25.99 Save !!!
"We love this wine. This is a big, chewy Zin that will stand up to sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, oyster stuffing and Mama's gravy. We like-a-da-juice."

2003 Louis Chenu Savigny "Aux Clous"
On Sale $26.99 Save !!!
"We love this tiny producer from France's Burgundy region. American wine importer Peter Weygandt has a penchant for ferreting out delicious wines from undiscovered producers. Lovely, bright cherry/brick color. The nose is enticing with notes of ripe red fruits; raspberry, black cherry and red plum. There are notes of spice, minerals and fresh herbs too. On the palate it's incredibly supple with ripe, well-balanced flavors that mirror the nose and a silky, elegant finish. This is absolutely delicious. Bottled unfiltered."

2004 Desauney-Bissey Vosne Romanée "Les Rouges Vieilles Vignes"
On Sale $49.99 Save !!!
"Bruno Desauney is one of burgundy's most underrated winemakers. He owns some excellent parcels of land and has studied with burgundy's master of Pinot Noir, the late Henri Jayer. Bruno's wines remind me of Jayer's. They're complex, elegant, ethereal. This wine comes from a vineyard just above the Grand Cru Echezeaux. Bruno's parcel has 70+ year old vines. Medium-to-dark ruby-color, immensely appealing aromas of earth soaked in sweet, black cherry juice. This aromatic, highly-detailed, and absolutely delicious wine is layered with delicate, ripe red cherries, hints of minerals, and traces of toasty oak. Imported by Peter Weygandt."
Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 PM

Why are you forbidding oaky chardonays? Well, I guess in my family, we often smoke our turkey with alder wood on the Weber grill. That smoke flavor I don't think would be all that incompatible with a woody wine.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 PM

Mr. Mon,

i think this year I'm going to make some moose meat and drink a bottle of wine. I have 2 French reds to choose from:

Georges Dubeuf: 2005 Beaujolais-Villages and 2005 Moulin-a-Vent

any thought as to which way i should go?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you forbidding oaky chardonays? Well, I guess in my family, we often smoke our turkey with alder wood on the Weber grill. That smoke flavor I don't think would be all that incompatible with a woody wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might go with a smoked bird, but I think there's a lot of other things that it won't go with that are also going to be on the table. Besides, the trend is to go with way less oak in Chardonnay, since it was so overdone in the late 90s.

Be adventurous, try something new. Ask your local wine store what will work best with your menu.