Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: At this sink
Liquid 66 88.00%
Bar 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Need Help

My car was towed 4 weeks ago due to late registration. Yesterday I went the DMV to pay the registrations fee, then went to the police station to pay some more fees which totals to $260. I'm going to junk the car becasue the cost to repair the car costs more than it. So today I went to the towing place and they say I owe them $1350, and they are charging me $40 a day until it is about $2000 and then they will turn it over to collections. Now I don't want to release the car, I just want to junk it. Is there anyway I don't have to pay this rediculous fee. This is more than rent for a condo a month to keep a car in a lot.

I would feel so ripped off if I pay this rediculous fee. Are there any options for me? Can I just fight the collection in court? Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Need Help

What state is this? This happened to me in California. Basically you're SOL. When it happened to me they told me I could pay 1/2 the storage fee and they would auction it off. I paid the full $900 or whatever because the car was worth a lot more than that, but if they will do that for your car that's probably the best option.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 PM

yeah im in califonia, this is pissing me off so much. how did i suppose to know they are chargin 40 bucks a day.

This is what happened in my head.

thought i lost my car had no idea where it is
figured it was towed cus it was a pos
didn't care cus didn't need it
thought i pay the fees at the dmv and police just to be good
found out i have 1350 fees.

WTF no one let me know anything about the car being towed or im being charged. just boom tow my car then charge me 1350. The car was parked in a legal parking spot too. It just had late registration but I wasn't driving it.

I am so pissed right now with this [censored] rediculous nonsense.

Sorry about the rant but any help would be appreciated. Can I fight the fees in court some how?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF no one let me know anything about the car being towed or im being charged. just boom tow my car then charge me 1350. The car was parked in a legal parking spot too. It just had late registration but I wasn't driving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this would have happened to me too. Luckily I heard my car alarm go off and went to see what was going on (my registration was 1 year expired).

Anyway, I don't think you can fight the fees in court. There's nothing illegal about what they did, it's all a pretty standard procedure. You might be able to search around Google and find some stories about getting a judge to reduce the fees since you didn't receive notice or anything but it's doubtful. Like I said in my first post, if you can't figure out anything else to do, ask if they can auction it off at least. Should save you some money, but they might not do it if the car is a POS and they won't get any money for it.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 PM

What would you do if your car is towed and you are charged 1350+40/day until around 2k and then they send to collections?