Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 04:13 AM

Default Thoughts on Sprint Nextel stock?

This post is intending as an exercise for me to learn about / think about stocks using an example I have a bit of knowledge about. I know nothing about choosing individual stocks and have basically no experience...

My fiancee works for Sprint and she thinks good things are happening with the company. They have a deal with Time Warner and Cox Communications to partner up and sell each other's services, they have a better wireless network card product than any other cell phone company (Verizon's is close and Cingular's is awful), judged by uploading and downloading speeds available and bandwidth. They also have a USB wireless network card coming out before Christmas that no one else is selling.

The stock dropped significantly earlier this year and has not really recovered, so to me, it looks like buying now would be getting in at a low relative price. I know a real investor would glean a lot of information from the various financial documents available about the company, but I wonder if the above factors are important/significant? People tell me that since I don't know about the stock market, I should choose stock in a company I do know about.

I know a true value investor will say to me "all those things are nice but they don't address what the company is really worth" which is something I don't know how to determine (or I'd be rich!). Don't a lot of people choose to buy stock in a company because they expect it to "do better" regardless of what its worth or what its trading at currently - is this the fishy way to play the stock market?

Thanks for any thoughts,
DeathDonkey
Old 10-27-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Sprint Nextel stock?

IF broadband wireless internet becomes a reality in 2 years (WiMax), and everyone starts carrying around mobile skype phones will this company still have a decent business? They will probably be selling the broadband wireless to us, but their high margin per minute charges or text messaging services will be all dried up.
The problem with investing in technology companies is that the business landscape changes so drastically in such little time.