Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Top pair meh kicker

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero?

Alright this is 6 max 1/2. I haven't been at the table long enough to get any great reads. I think that UTG is a fairly aware player. The bb I have no feel for yet. Ive seen him make a marginal calldown but also value bet in certain key spots.

Reason for the bet. I wanted to minimize the field and push to take the hand down.
Btw: I'm less then 1000 hands at 6-max...so still getting a feel for it.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Top pair meh kicker

I think I check and see on the turn again, and then bet the river. A donk on the river is less likely to be raised by AQ, and you get the added bonus of seeing what UTG does. You'd def. not be happy about putting in 3 BB on the big streets, but you'd also rather not b/f the turn.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:00 AM

If this is a hard decision I don't bet the turn. The 2 pairing turned this into WA/WB.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 AM

I'd rather checkraise the flop and go from there. I don't like your turn donk. I don't think he's calling down with AK. He'll probably call down with 88-JJ. He's either calling down or raising you with QQ-AA, AQ. If I'm taking this one to showdown, and I guess I'm obligated to because I have TP, I'll check/call turn and check/call river.

As played, I'd fold the turn. We need to be good 1 time in 4 for this call down to be correct, right? Math anyone? I don't think we are.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 AM

checkcall the turn

bbb
Old 10-24-2006, 01:41 AM

I donk the flop.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I donk the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 AM

checkraise ye olde floppe. if bb 3-bets you just make the "oh well" calldown. if he calls and raises that turn, you can fold.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather checkraise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It seems to be the mantra on this forum: "Checkraise top pair". But I don't see any benefit here. If I'm beating you, I'm going to call you on the flop, let you lead the turn and raise you there. A costly way to get to showdown with a marginal hand.

The best that can happen for us here is that we are raised on the flop and that shuts out the other guy. Then you get a showdown for 2BB if you want it.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 AM

For the most part people are way off on this one. Imo there are only 2 correct plays for this hand. Not telling what they are but people named one of the options.

No one has even come close to the other one. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]