Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Default dilemma

I'm playing live at The Palms...$2/5 $1000 cap...I bought in for $500 and am sitting on roughly the same.

OLD GUY (OG) limps from early position like he does in every pot. He's a chaser and will call you down the whole way. He's got over $800 behind. LAGTARD (LT) raises to $20 from MP. He just sat down but I've played with him before - he comes to gamble and will either double up or go broke within 30 minutes of sitting down. He's awful and I love playing with him. He just bought in for $400.

I look down at two red Jacks. I re-raise it to $60. They both call.

POT: $187

Flop:

T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

OG checks. LT bets $100.

As I only have $440 behind now, I push.
They both call.

OG: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
LT: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Just wondering if there was another way to play this, knowing full-well that if OG does in fact have a flush draw, he's still getting the right price to call. I presume this is a better decision than smooth calling and hoping for a non-scare card on the turn? Too many cards out there that put me in no-mans land, right??

RESULTS IN WHITE BELOW:

<font color="white"> Turn was a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], River was a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. OG wins hand and busts us both.</font>
Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: dilemma

Given your reads and the number of scare cards that could kill your action on the turn, I think that you know this was well played. Don't be results-oriented Dom - you got all your money in the middle as a favorite and that's all you can do.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM

nh, bbv
Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your reads and the number of scare cards that could kill your action on the turn, I think that you know this was well played. Don't be results-oriented Dom - you got all your money in the middle as a favorite and that's all you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind losing the hand - he made the right call, I was just wondering if I had any other way to play it, given the size of my stack and my reads. Maybe raise to $340, leaving me $200 behind? Then if a scare comes on the turn I can let it go or check behind...but I feel this is way too passive...thoughts??
Old 10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

You played it fine. You raised preflop and your flop push was correct. Calling on the flop is bad for the reasons you stated.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:49 PM

If you magically knew he had a flush draw, then just call the flop and push a non-flush turn, where he'll be making a much bigger mistake. Since sleeping with Jenna Jameson probably doesn't give you Xray vision, I'd play it the same as you.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:53 PM

nah, push looks good given your reads, and accurate reads they were too.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Reraise bigger, flop push is perfect, you got your money in fine. This is just variance. Next!