Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Stars $100/$200 level : laying down 44 in SB

Big stack vs big stack. Villain has built his stack in the usual way - solid, TAG.

Against a smaller stack I might re-raise here - would that be terrible? Or should I be doing it here?

Having thought about it, I think 44 is too weak to defend with.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 (t10300)
MP1 (t2285)
MP2 (t8165)
CO (t3095)
Button (t3370)
Hero (t8750)
BB (t2195)
UTG (t2140)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t900
Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Stars $100/$200 level : laying down 44 in SB

I never raise here. I don't hate folding.

Btw, you aren't really defending here, you are just in the small blind. The time for telling people to leave your blind alone is when you are in the BB.

I like calling here, but only if you have a plan. In one case, you think you can outplay MP2 post-flop. I love this play, but you have to be a skilled player for it to be reasonable. Especially since you will have to act first on all later rounds.

In the other case, you are calling for set-value, and aren't putting in anything more post-flop unless you flop a 4. The stacks are deep enough for this, but you have to believe you can take a large bite out of villains stack if you do hit. I would easily call this against a LAG, because he is giving me the implied odds I need. Against a TAG it gets a little tricky, it would be an easy call if you knew he had AA, because then you can stack him with a flopped 4. He might have plenty of other holdings too though, so I don't know if you can call for set-value against this guy. Some other posters might have more thoughts on this.

Fiksdal
Old 10-21-2006, 01:16 PM

wtf, easy call...call --&gt; hit set --&gt; stack him
Old 10-21-2006, 02:03 PM

I don't dislike it here. If BB's any good, and not nittish, he's going to shove to the call with a wide range, and you'd probably have to fold, as you're as OOP as you can get in the SB.

But that's a specific situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, you aren't really defending here, you are just in the small blind. The time for telling people to leave your blind alone is when you are in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Resteals probably work a little better in the SB than in the BB, and there is never a set time to "tell people to leave your blind alone" specifically. It is situational, and whether you're SB or BB does not matter if your intent is to resteal.

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, easy call...call --&gt; hit set --&gt; stack him

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely so in a vacuum. But you flatcall, BB shoves, original raiser cold-calls. Where'd set value go?