Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Hachem

Didn't see this mentioned in the WSOP thread; I seem to dislike Hachem more and more each time I see him on TV. Granted, it's a small sample size, but that's all I have to judge him by.

He pulls a lot of the same [censored] that Gold does, but doesn't get any of the grief-- he tries gamely to talk people into calling, he makes faces and berates people when he gets sucked out on, or when he's called thinly, etc. (even though this is the reason why he is doing well in cash games according to his own testimony), and generally is just arrogant and maltempered at the table.

Also, when he kept running over to his wife and complaining to her like she was the cards ("you keep doing this to me," etc.) his b_tchiness was infuriorating. Perhaps Raymer set too high a standard for a respectable, intelligent, well-mannered champ, but Hachem seems like a bigger douche than Moneymaker, Mortenson, Ferguson, and Varkonyi combined (much closer to Gold than to the rest). Also, like everyone else has said, hearing someone who won the WSOP ME luckfest complain about races and luck and always getting sucked out on gets a little old. I thought Dutch conducted himself far better and came off much better to anyone viewing the show in an unbiased fashion.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Hachem

I thought dutch played 90% of the pots horribly and deserved to lose. Calling all-in with KQo on the button for 500k more with 50k invested, cmon!

-Scott
Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 PM

I got the rockets baby
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Hachem seems to me to have acquired a little bit of the Phil Hellmuth disease. That is, he has become too emotionally invested in the game while at the table, and has acquired something of an ego. When you combine the two, they lead to sense that you deserve to win all the time, and make the bad beats harder to take.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM

I don't mind Hachem. That "pass the shooga'" line gave me douche chills, and then when he effectively tried to "patent" it by handing out little sugar packets at that circuit event, that was pretty douchey too. Overall, he seems like a good enough guy.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't see this mentioned in the WSOP thread; I seem to dislike Hachem more and more each time I see him on TV. Granted, it's a small sample size, but that's all I have to judge him by.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd like him more if he was much less successful.

He may be a bit too aware that he's usually the smartest player at the table, but then again, he's usually the smartest player at the table.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but Hachem seems like a bigger douche than Moneymaker, Mortenson, Ferguson, and Varkonyi combined

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Ferguson isn't a douche- He conducts himself with poise and class at the table. I'd like one example where he dances, high-fives his posse or berates a player for a bad call, please.

2) Moneymaker isn't a douche - He is what he is, and that's a bad player who got lucky. He doesn't try and paint himself as some genius poker player, and maintains a surprisingly good attitude even though he is constantly berated by media, pros and amateurs alike.

3) Varkonyi isn't a douche- He's a dork. There's a difference here that shouldn't require explaining.

4) I'll give you Mortenson.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Dutch conducted himself far better and came off much better to anyone viewing the show in an unbiased fashion

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, OK. Constantly shoving all his chips in the pot with the worst of it, sucking out on the last hand to win, and being crowd surfed by his buddies instead of going over to shake the runner-ups hand. Gee, he sure comes off like a great player and an even better guy. Gotcha!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM

I give Hachem a 4 on the douche meter (1-10,10 highest).

But as far as the other ME winners, I give Raymer and Ferguson a 10 on the class meter (1-10, 10 highest).
Old 10-12-2006, 05:46 PM

1. Hachem is a proven good player, Gold is not (yet)

2. Hachem also makes cracks about himself and more importantly, when Hachem tries to be funny he actually is alot of the times.

3. Hachem just comes across way more likeable, it's hard to put your finger on (mabye the accent?)

anyway I agree he does seem to have a sense of, I dunno, entitlement when he's playing. He also seems to be horrified of bad beats/variance/etc.

Hopefully he'll get better with time maybe. He should kinda just chill, he's got the moneyzzzz.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He pulls a lot of the same [censored] that Gold does

[/ QUOTE ]

Hachem's talk is far less annoying or insulting. He's generally just being talkative, not calling out his hand or being otherwise acting like he's got ADD.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when he kept running over to his wife and complaining to her like she was the cards ("you keep doing this to me," etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you misheard this. I heard him say "I'm sorry I keep doing this to you", as in, sorry it's such a tension-fest trying to claw his way back.