Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Default If we could only get international support

I have no idea how the international poker community views what is happening in the US. As a whole I can't see them viewing it as a good thing as it pertains to poker or just human rights in general.

Now many of these larger gaming sites and funding sources have left or may soon bail on U.S. customers stating they are a publicly traded company and need to protect the interests of their shareholders. This is understandable.

The thing is these companies have a choice. They are still able to turn a profit even after losing 50% of their customer base. They may not be happy about it but half is better than nothing and their shareholders would agree.

Now what would happen if the international community banned together. Refusing to play on sites which walked away from the U.S market. Not just for our benefit but to insure that this same plague does not continue to grow into foreign soil.

Now the poker sites and their shareholders are faced with a much greater dilemma. They will be forced to fight on our behalf or face extinction. No longer is 50% an option. All it would take is for one site to be targeted and the whole industry would be forced to react.

What do you think would be the outcome of such an effort? How unrealistic of an idea is this?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: If we could only get international support

[ QUOTE ]
Now what would happen if the international community banned together. Refusing to play on sites which walked away from the U.S market. Not just for our benefit but to insure that this same plague does not continue to grow into foreign soil.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be solving the wrong problem. The issue here isn't that the cardrooms have bailed on the U.S. market, it is that our Congress forced their hand.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:44 PM

Indeed. I would't want to play on a site that breaks the law.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed. I would't want to play on a site that breaks the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a site on foriegn soil breaking the law?

Frede, you're not playing at all online??
Old 10-22-2006, 02:53 PM

move it from the unrealistic column to the impossible and pointless columns, the only hope we have is that people with a real vested interest in online poker get active and lobby effectively for a poker carve-out, and by vested interest I dont mean 2bb per hour.

The only other thing that will save us in the long run is if the state governments decide they can make a lot more off holdem than they can off keno
Old 10-22-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
move it from the unrealistic column to the impossible and pointless columns, the only hope we have is that people with a real vested interest in online poker get active and lobby effectively for a poker carve-out, and by vested interest I dont mean 2bb per hour.

The only other thing that will save us in the long run is if the state governments decide they can make a lot more off holdem than they can off keno

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are these "people with a real vested interest" you speak of?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see this coming true. Keno and lotteries generate alot of money.