Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Default AJs raise the flop or turn? 2-4

Should I have raised flop here and why? and why not turn?
or it is OK?

UTG - 16/9/.91 after 99 hands

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: AJs raise the flop or turn? 2-4

Raise PF. It would change the way the hand went subsequently, and make the hand easier to play.

bc
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise PF. It would change the way the hand went subsequently, and make the hand easier to play.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

It was raised by UTG already do you say I should have reraised?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM

Unless you have a reason to think that you'll get a whole lot of cold-callers behind you, I'd just muck this PF. UTG doesn't seem that aggressive, and you are way behind a lot of his UTG PFR range.

As played, I think waiting for the turn to raise is OK, seems this guy seems a little passive. Against an agressive player, you will probably get more action if you raise the flop.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Cold calling here is fine if the players behind you are loose. Otherwise I'd fold. 3betting is spew.

Postflop is fine. I would have no problem with you raising the flop if you wanted to. I'm happy as long as you throw in the raise somewhere. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2006, 09:15 PM

On this flop I raise. Why? To find out where you are before it gets expensive. You could easily be behind here and waiting till the turn is asking to get three bet. If you get check raised on the turn you only need to put in a total of two bets. Also if you get three bet on the flop that is even more info at a lesser price than finding out on the turn and yu can go into call down mode...or fold.

FWIW I'm probably not playing this PF
Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On this flop I raise. Why? To find out where you are before it gets expensive. You could easily be behind here and waiting till the turn is asking to get three bet. If you get check raised on the turn you only need to put in a total of two bets. Also if you get three bet on the flop that is even more info at a lesser price than finding out on the turn and yu can go into call down mode...or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

why raise anywhere on this hand? There are 8 combos of hands you beat that won't fold to a flop raise and will call down. AK and AT.

There are 11 combos of hands you are losing to that will 3bet, or at worst, call down. AA, QQ, JJ, AQ, and that's not even counting the times he has KTs.

Call flop, call turn, call river.

As played it, fold the river, it's over. What hand can he have that you beat? Is he suddenly donking A9 on the river? no.

Against his range you are done.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As played it, fold the river, it's over. What hand can he have that you beat? Is he suddenly donking A9 on the river? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is one of the rare times in a big pot when, although you don't know exactly what your opponent has, you can't win. Whether its AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, TT, JJ, it doesn't matter, you can't win so folding this river is a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why raise anywhere on this hand? There are 8 combos of hands you beat that won't fold to a flop raise and will call down. AK and AT.

There are 11 combos of hands you are losing to that will 3bet, or at worst, call down. AA, QQ, JJ, AQ, and that's not even counting the times he has KTs.

Call flop, call turn, call river.

Against his range you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your range is too small for hands that won't fold to a flop raise and that we have beat. i'd add KK, TT, KQs, KJs, and KQo. i still don't mind just calling down even with these added hands but i think raising the flop is ok. i would fold the river as well.

also, i think this is a pretty easy PF fold.