Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 PM

Default c-betting amounts in NL Hold\'em

Say you're playing a $100 game ($.5/1) of NL Hold'em and you raise to $4 first to act in a 6-max game with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The BB calls and checks to you. There's $8.50 in the pot
How much would you you bet on these flops:

1)K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

2)K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

3) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

and why?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: c-betting amounts in NL Hold\'em

1) I would check behind. Thats a pretty safe board, unless you are already beat. This takes away the opportunity for him to check-raise bluff the 7 on the flop. At the same time, it saves you money if in fact he has the 7. Finally, when he might have just folded to your bet, it allows him to bluff the turn or catch a piece of it to call your turn bet, to gain you money.

2) At least 6....usually higher. This is a very scary flop. You probably have the best hand, and you want to make it expensive for draws

3) About 5. Pretty good flop, but there is a flush draw, and you dont want to give away a free card to beat you.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM

I can give a "textbook" answer based solely on what is standard and mathematical...however the real answer would depend almost entirely on all other variables:

1. Relative stack sizes
2. What happened on the previous hand
3. BB's normal playing style
4. BB's state of mind
5. Does the BB normally protect his blinds?
6. Does the BB check monsters out of position?
7. Do I always make a Continuation Bet after raising preflop..and if so, how much?
8. Do I make Probe Bets when I have raised preflop but miss the flop?

The list goes on and on

That said, you have position on all betting rounds, and hit the flop with TPTK in all three scenarios. That's about the best you can realistically hope for with AK off suit.

So, here's what I would do:

1. Make what appears to be a Probe Bet of ~1/3 the pot. So my bet would be $3. I would be expecting a check-raise (if he's an astute player) and I would then just call...evaluating the board as we went along. Reasoning is that we're isolated head's up, he was passive preflop and could be calling with any two cards, checked the flop, and hopefully will raise what he perceives to be a Prob Bet...maybe with something like Ax or bottom pair.

2. I have to at least consider the possibility that he called with some paint, in which case this board would look pretty good to him. I would be leery of the check on the flop, but that could mean anything. But I can't let him have a free card, so now I'm betting 3/4 to the full pot. I'd probably go 3/4 and bet $6.50, and if he calls with a straight draw it would be wrong.

3. This is the scariest of the three, and I suppose that's why you have it last. The suited board is dangerous, and I'm betting the pot. If he calls with a flush draw, he's wrong. Actually, betting 3/4 the pot is probably the more correct bet, and I'd do that if my opponent was T/A but not L/A.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:37 PM

Pot all three for value, its as simple as that. KQ and KJ aren't folding unless you overbet.