Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Was I too aggressive?

I've noticed lately that I tend to win many small pots and lose a few large pots that give me a negative BB/100. I think this hand is an example of a major leak in my game so I'm wondering how other people would have played it. The hands I play like this seem to lose too much money to make up for the times they do win.

In this hand UTG is rather tight and passive, MP2 is absolutely on tilt and the BB is very passive.

On the flop I was hoping that I could get everyone to fold, I figured that otherwise I still had many outs to win. On the turn I bet again hoping for a fold but knowing that I had plenty of outs so I couldn't be far behind. I figured that I had the odds to call the river bet even though it seemed I was way behind.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Thanks for any input!

-Colin
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Was I too aggressive?

I would raise preflop. I like the flop bet. On the river what do you think the tight passive player is betting with?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM

For me the only questionable call in the final call on the river. UTG looks to be on a straight draw and right up until the jack hits, i think you're ahead. fold to the bet on the river.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:06 PM

The flop bet looks horrible to me. If you routinely bet flops like this one it is a pretty big leak.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:22 PM

I agree that betting the flop is unwise. The pot is too small to be this agressive. There are 3 opponets you must fold. Too many of your outs are tainted too much of the time. I C/F here every time.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM

i dunno about this flop bet. Its a small pot, and you only have one overcard + a straight draw... id check/fold
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM

I agree with Joe. Nobody seems to want this one, preflop, throw in a pfr and give yourself some folding equity for the flop. Then your flop bet carries some weight. As you played it, the flop bet is meaningless and merely bloating the pot for any draw that might be out there.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 PM

With no PFR, I'd check fold. I just don't think one overcard and 4 outs to the nut straight is worth putting money in a 4SB pot for against 3 opponents.

With a PFR this would have played a lot differently, but then raising AJo when you'll be in 1st position isn't something that I'd want to be doing.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop bet looks horrible to me. If you routinely bet flops like this one it is a pretty big leak.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exaggeration. Betting gutshots in limped pots with a few players into the pot is not a huge leak. You may be right that this flop isn't as good because Q's and T's are cards that are likely to hit limper hands, but you shouldn't make generalizations about his play.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exaggeration. Betting gutshots in limped pots with a few players into the pot is not a huge leak. You may be right that this flop isn't as good because Q's and T's are cards that are likely to hit limper hands, but you shouldn't make generalizations about his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant. With this flop I don't think he has a lot of fold equity. Guess I could have been more clear about that. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]