Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Flopped set, interesting Turn action. Please comment on all streets.

I'm a break even limit player and trying to improve my play. I'm either not milking my opponents enough when I have the best of it, or I'm spewing too much money when I have the worst of it. Or maybe a little of both.

Please comment on all streets. Thanks.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (13 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 01-29-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Flopped set, interesting Turn action. Please comment on all street

Preflop: Can't comment without table reads, if it's a loose passive table good

Flop: Ugly board, but this is micros so might as well throw out a bet and see what happens...good

Turn: Good, no reason to shut down 2nd set to a single raise

River: Again a read would help here, but I 3bet this. Even if Villain was getting fancy and slowplaying to your turn 3bet, he could be doing this with two pair (and if he can't have two crap pair, then he can't have a straight because he wouldn't have called the flop). He might also play this way with QT because he mistakenly thinks he won on the river, or maybe he was slowplaying 33 the whole time, or maybe he made a fishy call with 44 and got "lucky". If he has a set, it's one you beat as anyone aggressive enough to raise TT on the turn like that, would have raised it preflop, and only FPSing lunatics overlimp with QQ preflop. I think you're ahead here way more often than not. 3bet and call a cap.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:12 AM

3-bet river. QT no good.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Can't comment without table reads, if it's a loose passive table good

Flop: Ugly board, but this is micros so might as well throw out a bet and see what happens...good

Turn: Good, no reason to shut down 2nd set to a single raise

River: Again a read would help here, but I 3bet this. Even if Villain was getting fancy and slowplaying to your turn 3bet, he could be doing this with two pair (and if he can't have two crap pair, then he can't have a straight because he wouldn't have called the flop). He might also play this way with QT because he mistakenly thinks he won on the river, or maybe he was slowplaying 33 the whole time, or maybe he made a fishy call with 44 and got "lucky". If he has a set, it's one you beat as anyone aggressive enough to raise TT on the turn like that, would have raised it preflop, and only FPSing lunatics overlimp with QQ preflop. I think you're ahead here way more often than not. 3bet and call a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this a bad board for a flopped set.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:12 AM

By "ugly" I meant "not likely to generate much action". This flop didn't hit a lot of hands, which is a bad thing when your hand is this good.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 AM

*grunch*

I'm also a break even player at the moment, but here's my opinion:

No reads on any players, so I'll assume I've just sat down.

Preflop - I'd also call
Flop - Very nice so far, not co-ordinated, and pot is small, so I'd probably also bet out here to avoid a potential free card to 4 other players.
Turn - 4 isn't so good - anyone holding an ace, 2 or 6 or 7 has 4 cards to a straight and may not fold even though pot odds probably don't warrant it. Also anyone holding Q won't be folding. I'd also be betting here, to find out where I stand.

MP3 raising is interesting - I'd put them on two-pair Qx. BB calling is difficult to read with no history, probable calling station.

On the turn I'd probably have called the raise, and not reraised, but I'm not a hugely aggressive player. If the other two are still drawing, you are raising for value when they miss. If you are not already behind, there are quite a few river cards which would likely put you in second place (4xA, 4x2, 2x3, 4x6 , 4x7), so you are not certain to win, but you are say more than 50%.

River - looks safeish, I'd bet out for value, and call the raise.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 AM

Ten handed I'd probably fold 55 UTG+1 unless the table was very passive. I have nothing to say about flop and turn but I 3-bet this river.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn - 4 isn't so good - anyone holding an ace, 2 or 6 or 7 has 4 cards to a straight and may not fold even though pot odds probably don't warrant it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what?

Not so good??

You are worried about someone catching a card that gives them a DRAW when you have a set?

Holy smokes man, this is money in your pocket when they catch this card becuase now they GOTTA call your turn bet and hell most likely will call the river too UI just becuase.

To OP. You missed value on river. Yeah sometimes villian flips the straight or stupidly played over set, but thems the breaks, you got a huge hand on a very not scary board, bet the hell out of it becuase you are winning way more then you are losing.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Results

These results are going to shock the living crud out of everyone who responded:

Both players had A2 for a straight. MP3 and BB split the pot.

I was on the same line as everyone else, thinking two pair was the most likely holding (54s is what I put MP3 on). But there are a lot of players who will peel one off for a gut shot, and that was in the back of my mind the whole time. Also BB cold calling everything was highly weird IMO, which also made me start to think someone MIGHT have a straight. That's why I didn't cap the turn or 3-bet the river, I just had one of those funny feelings which made me slam on the breaks.

In any case, funny feelings aside, that doesn't mean I played the hand correctly. But it seems like I got pretty close. I played it only slightly less aggressive than a few of you.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM

in my book?

preflop: 55 needs a loose-passive table. If you're pretty confident it won't get raised preflop or that it will be 5+ handed, I call.

flop: standard

turn: standard

river: standard.

You have to raise the turn because of the overlay BB is giving you by calling everything, in addition to beating many hands that raise you here.

Since you didn't get re-raised, you have to bet the river, and you have to call when it gets back to you. Re-raising isn't that bad, as BB will probably stick around, but I'm pretty sure it's -EV.

nice line.