Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Default $5. five person bubble strategy

On world poker exchange they have five person sng's where top two payout at 70/30. In harringtons 3rd book he advocates playing extremely tight towards the end to get in the money now I know i should loosen up in this format but should you rather go for the first and bubble out more or keep playing it safe and try and get 2nds. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: $5. five person bubble strategy

In.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 PM

CJ, welcome to the forum.

A structure as top heavy as that, I would be more inclined to take smaller edges(risk), looking for improved finish distribution.

That said [admittedly incorrect maybe], it's about impossible to speak strategy at this level. Defining how much looser, tighter, more/less aggressive, etc. isn't going to happen.

Stick around, post some specific hands that you think might present arguements for either side regarding this subject.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks bluefeet. Heres a hypothetical but I know some variables will be missing. Big stack has 4000, we have 2500, and the last stack has 1000. blinds are at 50/100 Just us and the big stack in the hand and we flop two pair but theres a flush draw out there He checks we bet 1/2 the pot and he calls. Turn is a blank and then we bet half the pot again and he calls. On the river the flush comes and he goes all-in. Should you fold or call? thanks again
Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He checks we bet 1/2 the pot and he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should bet the pot here. If you were in the SB, that's 200, right? Bet at least 175, but I'd pot it.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a blank and then we bet half the pot again and he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he calls PSB on flop, the pot is now 600. I'd bet 500ish here and see how much he wants to draw.

[ QUOTE ]
On the river the flush comes and he goes all-in. Should you fold or call? thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you might not be in this predicament if you hadn't given him odds to keep drawing. You've got about 1700 left, not bad in comparison to the blinds or the shorty. Without a read that he's a bluffer, I'd find a fold here.

I think the whole thing would've gone better with bigger flop n' turn bets.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input of more pot-sized bets. But lets say we bet 200 on the flop and he calls making it 600. Then we bet 500 on the turn and he calls making the pot 1600. Then he goes all-in on the river. Would you still fold?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input of more pot-sized bets. But lets say we bet 200 on the flop and he calls making it 600. Then we bet 500 on the turn and he calls making the pot 1600. Then he goes all-in on the river. Would you still fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You've got about 1700 left, not bad in comparison to the blinds or the shorty. Without a read that he's a bluffer, I'd find a fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]