Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Legal Avenues

There has been a lot of speculation and debate about how Constitutional this bill is. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I know a few attorneys who specialize in federal cases. I am willing to put $1,000 toward starting a fund to hire an attorney to look into challenging this bill. This bill will be signed by the President. The only avenue left is the courts. I think every player with a decent bankroll should be willing to match me and put up 1k. I am not asking for a voucher, lets set something up with an attorney where he takes the payments and starts working on this. I will put up the cash first. If someone knows a better attorney than I do, GREAT. I will put up the cash with the attorney you recommend if he has decent credentials and has experiences with federal law. Lets stop this in the courts, or at least try. If we put our heads and cash together, we can do it. Like I said, if anyone has a better attorney, can put together a better deal I will help finance it.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Legal Avenues

If anyone reads this, and knows a good attorney who specializes in this kind of thing but does not have the cash to put up, let me know. I will put up a retainer to make this happen. I will put up the starter money myself.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Just out of curiousity, what part of the constitution do you think was violated?? I can't seem to find the section in my copy that covers the right of banks to transfer money to offshore gambling institutions.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:59 PM

I really do not know. I am not sure, that is why I think we should hire an attorney and find out. I willing to help finance making that happen. You brought up a great question, I really do not know the answer. It does not seem like anyone does. Just a lot of speculation. I think most of the constitution deals with interstate commerce, supremecy, etc. But I am not an attorney, that is why I think we should put our funds together and find one who can spell it out for us. Let us know if there are grounds to try and oppose this bill. If there aren't, we will spend $500 for an opinion. If there are, we will spend 50k to fight it.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, what part of the constitution do you think was violated?? I can't seem to find the section in my copy that covers the right of banks to transfer money to offshore gambling institutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you. That is why I think we should look into legal avenues. I don't know anywhere in the constitution that covers this stuff. It should be a states rights issue. That is why I would like to try and help put together a legal opposition to this. I will put up cash myself and get my friends involved. We can set up a legal trust with an attorney I am sure.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:05 PM

Interesting idea. I think thought that a campaign for this would be extremely expensive. You would definitely need lots of support. You would also likely need attorneys from a few different disciplines. E.g. an attorney specializing in constitutional rights, government policy etc, and definitely would need to consult with an attorney who has experience in online gaming. The leader in that field is with no contest Nelson Rose. I can get you his contact info if you cannot find it. I hear his rates are in the $600+/hour range...
Old 10-08-2006, 04:24 PM

There may be legal avenues of attack. Challenging constitutionality is highly unlikely to be one of them.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM

Litigation over this issue will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars if not well over $1million. Also, a plaintiff would have to have some reason or issue to file a lawsuit; maybe a poker professional, but only if the law is applied to him or her. Challenges are more likely to revolve around applicability of the law to poker or violation of WTO international treaty. If feds really attempt to block access to Neteller, etc. then you might have due process challenge by using Neteller for non-internet gambling use and challenging effort to prevent deposit to Neteller. This is in the future. Establishing a fund might be a good idea, but challenge may have to wait until regs are issued.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM

I think that poker sites making millions a day in rake will probably step up to the plate and send lawyers after this issue.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:10 AM

I agree, this would probably be a really expensive adventure. Then again, how many people in here make their living or at least supplement it off of playing poker? How many people have made hundreds of thousands of dollars online? Why aren't sites that have made hundreds of millions of dollars willing to step up and pick up a big chunk of the tab? Why aren't affiliates who have been supporting themselves off of poker willing to step up and put up some cash? I agree, it is probably very expensive, but I am willing to put up some cash and get it started. It would be really expensive, which is why I post it here. Every major site checks in on this forum, most of the people who make their living playing online check this forum, most affiliates check this forum.