Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 AM

Default AK fold/no fold preflop what do you think?

Pokerroom 2/4 table,

I am in the cutoff and post BB since it is first hand at table, I have no read of other players and about 28% see the flop.

Action: 3 folds, raise, reraise, fold and action to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Do you cap it, call the two bets or do you dump it?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: AK fold/no fold preflop what do you think?

cap town.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Seem reckless to me. AK is a drawing hand. Few players will reraise without AA, KK, QQ, AK or maybe JJ. At best I split the pot with one, am drawing dead against two and have the other 2 dominated. Not the best situtation in my mind. To conservative?

I will post the end result later after a few people chime in.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM

Cap it, you have position. (even in the very worst case with two very tight opponents you have almost 30% equity. I assume you will not dump the hand for 2 bets, so the extra bet you put in might, in the worst case, cost you about 0.05 expected SBs. It buys you a lot though, since you have position)
Old 10-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Cap it
Old 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Few players will reraise without AA, KK, QQ, AK or maybe JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

this misconception is wherein your problem lies. folding is atrocious. since we can't fold, reraising is better. there is alot of value in creating as much dead money in the pot as possible. you seem pretty excited about relaying the results so that makes me think you were left drawing to 3 or fewer outs in this hand, but trust me that will not often be the case.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Easy cap.

Without a read, you cannot assume that a reraise only means AA-JJ and AK. Against an open raise in MP, most decent players are reraising with a pair or two less than JJ and with AQ in this situation. If the open raiser has been raising light, the reraiser could be isolating with a much wider range still.

Additionally, you're not folding your hand so a cap has other advantages: you'll often get to check a poor flop through and see the turn card for free; if the reraiser bets into you on the flop, it's much more likely to mean he has an overpair to the board than if you only call and leave him in a position to auto-bet with any 2 cards.

Aaaand, even if we said that P1 open raises with decent broadways and pairs and that P2 only reraises with AA-JJ and AK, Pokerstove says you'll win a SD about 30% of the time. So just on pure equity you can almost justify the cap.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:25 PM

You have no information on the table. Considering the low limit and the probability that it's players are loose, you should always walk into a low-limit table and expect the loose play. It's not going to do you any good to sit down and start off playing supertight. Even with a raise + re-raise in front of you. There's a good chance AKos is still the best hand.

Capistrano!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM

grunch

cap
Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seem reckless to me. AK is a drawing hand. Few players will reraise without AA, KK, QQ, AK or maybe JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong in general, but it's especially wrong with the raise and reraise coming from middle position after you posted in the CO.

This is a cap. A case could be made for flat-calling but I think it's wrong in this situation. Folding is atrocious.