Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Learn O8 or Stud? (x-post and low content)

Hi there, this is my first time in the Stud forum. I've played hold'em for a year, am currently playing 1/2 6 max, and I wanted to try a different game.

I'm hoping to learn both O8 and Stud in time, but I only have time for one right now. I was hoping some people could tell me what they'd recommend, especially if they are familiar with both games.

I am looking for answer to questions like:
Which game will be easier to learn?
Which game is more fun?
Which game is more profitable? (though this isn't as important as the others)
etc. I'd also be interested in any other reason you have for preferring one game to the other.

Lastly, and I apologize for the newb-ish question, but where would be a good starting site for the game of your choice? I have accounts on most of the major networks (PP, PP, Stars, Prima, Crypto), and I've checked on their O8/Stud games a little bit - availability does seem to be a problem.

I appreciate your help. Hope I get a chance to contribute ot the forum someday.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Learn O8 or Stud? (x-post and low content)

I have tried out both in the last couple of months and definitely prefer stud.

I think stud is more fun because there's more nut-peddling in Omaha. I also enjoy having my own hand after all the hold'em. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2006, 12:19 PM

The games are similar enough that you should learn both anyway to expand your game selection, however, if what you're looking for is game availability, you should learn Omaha 8/b. Not too many Stud 8/b games go on the Internet these days unless it's low-limit stuff at PokerStars.

I play both pretty frequently but prefer Stud 8/b because of the intricacies, while low and middle-limit O8 is basically nut peddling to win money.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Do you have any experience in H/L? If not then Pokerstars goes down to .04/.08 in stud and .02/.04 in omaha. That would be a good start. I think stud requires a lot more skill then Omaha. Anyone can pick up a nut hand and raise it to death in omaha, stud OTOH hand requires much more thought.

I prefer stud8 but in your situation since you already have holdem experience omaha is close enough to it that it would be an easier game to learn.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:53 PM

I'd say learn O8 first because the structure is the same as holdem. Learn the split-pot nature of the game, then switch to Stud 8. That's the path I took. I'll be honest with you, I'm really enjoying stud 8 more than i do Omaha8, but i think if I had tried to learn both the different structure & split-pot intricies at the same time I'd have hurt myself.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. There were a few common elements in the responses I received, one which was particularly interesting, enough that I thought it warranted sharing.

It really surprised me how many people indicated that they enjoy Stud more than O8. This was true even in the O8 forum. These opinions did not just take the form of criticizing O8 as nut peddling (though there was some of that); people seem to genuinely prefer the situations and complexity of Stud.

The other responses re-emphasized some aspects of the games which I had heard a little bit before:
-O8 will be easier for me to learn because of it's similarity to a game I already know. Additionally, I will not have to learn the skill of memorizing cards.
-There is less variance in O8, so you need a smaller bankroll. That's of interest to me since I still plan on devoting a lot of time to my hold'em game.
-It seems that, in terms of a path, most people suggested learning O8, and then Stud.

One other factor in my decision is that there is a PT Omaha, while there is no comparable Stud tool that I know of. I know Pat is working on some version, but obviously it will still be buggy, and I don't want to have to worry about that in a game that I don't even know how to play. I think the inaccuracies could hurt me more then an experienced Stud player. Maybe he'll have it ready by the time I'm ready for Stud.

So overall, it looks like O8 is the way for me to go right now. Again, I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. I hope to be a contributing member of this forum some time in the future.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM

I prefer Stud8 to O8 as well. I also feel like action moves faster on Stud8 tables, perhaps because everyone only has 1 combo of cards, rather than reading a common board and trying to imagine all the possible hands they're against. That slightly compensates for the difficulty of multitabling stud.