Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM

Default My girlfriend is getting screwed big time

...at work.

She's a first year science teacher in a middle school in NYC.

She was interviewed and hired by the principal of a small middle school that has a 'satisfactory' ranking (unusual for the schools that teaching fellows end up in).

Two weeks before the school year the principal quit and went somewhere else and a new guy got hired. He seems like your typical public administration type, lots of talk and 'accountability' type stuff, very little substance.

My girlfriend was teaching 6th and 7th grade science. There is no 8th grade science teacher. The principal hired an assistant principal even though the school didn't have one and it wasn't in the budget. Then, a few weeks later, still lacking another science teacher, he hired himself an administrative assistant.

Now they are telling her that she will have to teach 8th grade science. She has done no planning for an 8th grade science curriculum. The 6th grade classes that she HAS been prepping for are being taught by a math teacher because the 8th grade classes get state tests and therefore need to be taught by someone who is licensed in that subject.

And people wonder why it's hard to get and keep good teachers. I've already told her to file every grievance she possibly can against this douche. Any other thoughts, OOT? I know some of you have a teaching background.

Uggh.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: My girlfriend is getting screwed big time

Screwed big time?!
More accurately she is being mildly inconvenienced.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM

SOOOOOOOOO standard for public schools in urban areas. If she can't handle something like that, she shouldn't be teaching in this environment.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SOOOOOOOOO standard for public schools in urban areas. If she can't handle something like that, she shouldn't be teaching in this environment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM

is your girlfriend pokerbob?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Screwed big time?!
More accurately she is being mildly inconvenienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

So getting hired to do a job, prepping all summer to do it, then having your supervisor quit, all your curricula thrown out the window and your boss using all the 'company' resources to hire personal assistants instead of essential staff ... to you this is a minor inconvenience. The fact that this situation is arising because the guy wants three administrative underlings in a school that earned a satisfactory rating with NONE last year is just icing on the cake.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is your girlfriend pokerbob?

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i've heard pokerbob isn't getting screwed
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM

My first thought is that it's probably easier to hire an Admin Assistant than a teacher, just given lower qualifications. Is the reason they're not filling the 8th grade position economics or difficulty in getting somebody hired?

It may very well be that without proper administrative support he wasn't able to easily hire people. I mean, it's gross that there isn't a teacher, but I think it's also lame that there isn't an assistant/vice princepal either.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i understand the first part of this is pretty much true, but why is this acceptable in a profession like teaching, where it would be laughably bad in most others? if i got hired to do counseling with a certain population, had a contract and wrote up the curricula, and then they told me to work with an entirely different group, there's no way i'd have to do it. (i'm a social worker).
Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 PM

Somehow I doubt all the curricula must be thrown out when you get moved from 7th to 8th grade science in an urban public school.