Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Default large-ish PT imports, how to without freezing?

I'm trying to import some mined hands, but whenever I try to import more than like 2 or 3 megs of files it freezes.

sorting files into 2 or 3 meg chunks takes a bunch of time, how can I import, say, 10 megs of files at 1 time w/o freezing pokertracker?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: large-ish PT imports, how to without freezing?

Are those files divided into 100 hands apiece? If not, use the "File Splitter" utility in PT.

I have recently done this with 1 G of files. I was advised to import about 20% at a time. You should have no problem with 10 megs at one time.

PT usually only appears to freeze up. You should ignore this and just wait for the import to finish.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:52 PM

There is no solutions ...

I mean, you could either let PT import mined hands as they are mined, which works very well. Or, just don't import mined hand while you play ...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:02 PM

It's not really frozen. It's just that PTPat doesn't know how to code threaded apps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really frozen. It's just that PTPat doesn't know how to code threaded apps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that is the case. The programming language PT is written in (PowerBuilder) lends itself well to database programming, but does not have support for threading.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I'm pretty positive it freezes. I know it appears to be frozen for minutes at a time sometimes, but never while it says "importing hand # X," when it says this the hand # is always changing, but when I try to import a bunch, it will get stuck on 1 hand for over 5 minutes, hence the frozen part.

I've tried letting it go for like 20 minutes and still stuck on 1 specific hand. pretty sure thats a freeze.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 PM

Did you then end the PT process? Did you check to see how many, if any, hands were imported. If PT did import a significant percentage of the hands, I would doubt that it was actually frozen.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I'm pretty positive it freezes. I know it appears to be frozen for minutes at a time sometimes, but never while it says "importing hand # X," when it says this the hand # is always changing, but when I try to import a bunch, it will get stuck on 1 hand for over 5 minutes, hence the frozen part.

I've tried letting it go for like 20 minutes and still stuck on 1 specific hand. pretty sure thats a freeze.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let it run!

The hand number will stop updating whenever PT loses focus, that happens when you click in another window, or even when another application 'borrows' focus (something you will never notice, but happens periodically on most machines)

Run a small import of say a 2 meg file, time it. 2Mb should be about 1700 hands, if you have a decent PC and are using the latest PT patch,PT2.14f the import should run at about 3 hands/sec. so the 2mb file should take about 10 minutes to complete. A 10Mb file will take about 50minutes - and you will not see the hand number increasing for the vast majority of that 50 minutes.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM

First of all, convert your database to a POSTgre database. Second, change the priority of PT in your list of processes to high, and change everything else of improtance to low. This may help...
-Nick