Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 04:27 AM

Default California Poker laws

Unless I'm misunderstanding the bill, which is entirely possible because I'm dead tired, it says that state laws are not superseded. The bill states that if the bet or wager is placed within the same state (meaning one that allows betting and wagering), then it's ok. So if there's a site based in California, and the wager is placed in CA, will the bill not apply?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Re: California Poker laws

I believe you're correct here. Since Congress can only regulate INTERSTATE commerce, it would be completely legal for a state to run an online gambling site. However, only persons inside the state could transfer money to and from the site, and all of its servers, etc would have to be located within the state. As soon as any money transfer crossed state lines, Congress's bill would take effect.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:24 PM

Everyone move to California! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that this whole thing is just part of some chess match with these online gaming sites. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

On a side note, I don't understand why Party gaming, and ALL of the major poker sites came together and formed alliances that could break the senate. Only a few of them banned together, they didn't do a good job of informing their base (how about a signin pop up that explains the legislation with links to your senators (if you live in US). Perhaps they thought this would create more of a scare, I don't know. It just seems like there's a lot more that could have been done. I'm assuming that money hungry capatlist though will find away around this bill.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM

What site is based in California btw? I live in socal and you've made me a little bit happier inside.

I think Party has a PPA ad everytime you cash out, I didn't read it close enough to see if it mentioned anything about the specific legislation though.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: California Poker laws - Not quite

Read the bill, it is very specific on hoops a State law would have to jump through.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: California Poker laws - Not quite

[ QUOTE ]
Read the bill, it is very specific on hoops a State law would have to jump through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read it. I see nothing out of the ordinary. Must be 21, etc... same laws needed with any other gaming wager. If you see something else, please tell.