Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Default NL50: QJs that probably could have been played better.

Villain is 53/13/10 over 30 hands. So they're pretty aggressive postflop.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB ($85.50)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($50.50)</font>
Button ($35.35)
SB ($2.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($16.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $11</font>, Hero calls $11.

River: ($38.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $38.25
Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: NL50: QJs that probably could have been played better.

Bet the river for value.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 PM

I bet more on the flop and usually 3 bet when he raises. Against an over pair or a set you are still in pretty good shape because of your draws. When a blank turn hits you are going to lose a lot of equity, so I want to play very fast on this flop.

On the turn, do you think you are ahead when he bets $11? If you are drawing, you have at most 16 outs (Say he has AQ no diamonds) which is about 34% equity. Your $11 call is only good if you can extract another bet from him on the river.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:17 PM

You really nailed this flop, and have all sorts of equity. Honestly, your hand is so strong that this is the type of flop that you really don't even need to put your opponent on a range. Your goal here should be to get most of your chips in as the aggressor. 3-bet pot the flop.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Flop looks like an easy 3-bet all-in. You have 6.02 x 10^23 outs.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 PM

The problem I have with a 3-bet on the flop is the min raise by the villian. In almost every case he has either flopped a set/straight or is really weak. I like the way the hand was played.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM

3bet flop.

As played, bet river.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I have with a 3-bet on the flop is the min raise by the villian. In almost every case he has either flopped a set/straight or is really weak. I like the way the hand was played.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with calling the flop is when the turn blanks off, as it did, and villain bets again, as he did. Villain didn't really put the wood to us with his bet, but what if he had potted the turn? Even with the bet he made, now you have to wonder if you're getting decent implied odds to see one more card; is he going to pay you on a river [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] when you've pretty much signalled that you're drawing?

The advantage of pushing combo draws is that even if called by a hand that beats us, our equity is still very good because of our large number of outs and the fact that we're going to see both cards. In addition, we get good fold equity against lesser hands that may be beating us -- in this case I think villain is looking exactly like AQ. And we don't mind terribly if villain folds outright; we take down a tidy pot.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the flop minraise and folding to the turn bet when you don't hit one of your outs is an option. It is not as +EV as 3betting the flop.

Calling the turn bet is bad unless you know villain often has a hand worse than yours (JJ, AK, Q2, A9 or whatever) or you know he will pay you off when you hit a straight or flush on the river.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Villain is really aggressive postflop, so there is a good chance he'll fire on the turn w/ a hand u crush. I like flatcalling the flop. 3bet flop ai is too much an overbet.