Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 PM

Default low limit players- meh

Here are some hands from my last session. My main problem or question is that I am calling down alot because of my lack of read on the players and the long odds. Please provide your opinions because I respect all of you.

1) 3/6 live 10 handed limit game. UTG posts rather than waits to post BB so I assume he is an idiot. I have JJ in MP1. I raise. 2 cold callers. BB calls. UTG 3-bets. I cap. The other players call. ~20 BB. Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG leads. I raise. 1 fold. Button cold calls. BB folds. UTG calls. Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bets. I have a close decision between raising and calling. I considered raising, but had a feeling I just got beat. I called. I should have raised. The BB called. The river was a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The UTG bet. I called. The BB called. BB had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I was going to raise the turn to protect my hand if I was ahead, but I feared getting 3-betted if I was behind. Turns out I was behind, but I think with the size of the pot a raise might be in order. These guys were so chase-a-liscous.

2) I have JJ on the BB. 4-5 players limp. I raise the BB. They all call. The flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet. 3 players call. The turn is a K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check. 2 players check. The button bets. I call. The other two players fold. The river is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check. The button bets. I call.

3) I have J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in LP1. I call after 3 limpers. Woman is in cutoff has posted and checks. Remaining players check. Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Everyone checks. I bet, woman raises, everyone folds, I re-raise. She caps. Turn is a K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Whats my plan here?

4) I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. One players limps. I raise. Good players in the SB calls. Horrible insane witch in the BB calls. Limper calls. The flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Check, Check, check, I bet, good player calls in SB, witch raises, limper cold calls, I just call. Turn is 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check, check, check. Whats my plan here? Assuming I didnt fold, river is an Ace [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Check, Check, Check, whats my play here?

-j
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: low limit players- meh

why dont they have that game on the net?
Would be sooo nice to multitable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2006, 06:25 PM

Hand 1 - "UTG posts rather than waits to post BB so I assume he is an idiot" And you said you had a lack of reads here! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I raise that turn card. I really have no reason to believe that UTG donked a Q on the flop. I think for the most part, his range probably includes a lot of pocket pairs that your JJ is probably still ahead of. If anyone plays back after my raise, then I'll slow down.

Hand 2 - Lead the turn. There's no reason yet to put someone on a King, or QJ for the straight. And having this turn get checked through would be vomitous (is that a word?)

This hand and the first hand both seem like you got unnecessarily afraid of scare cards, just because they were higher than your pair. I still say bet here until someone tells me that I'm otherwise beat.

Hand 3 - Unless she has a set, you are ahead on the flop. Given that she posted preflop, you can't rule out hands like J4 and T4 here. So I still like to lead out the turn and see how she responds to that.

Hand 4 - I bet the turn. I assume you just called the flop to raise the turn? Or were you going into call down mode afraid of the 6? Personally, I'd 3bet the flop, especially with the overlay of 3 opponents in. Since you didn't, then I bet the turn and then I check behind on the river. With 3 opponents, I don't know if there's much value in betting the river. Not much below you is going to call, and there's lots of chances for AX of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or an A5 or something to be out there. So I'd check behind on the river. But be warned that I have be known in the past for my weak river value betting! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Hand 1) I wait to the turn to raise. You're not protecting anything on the flop in a 20+ bet pot with a raise here.

Given how youd played it, I'd raise the turn.

Hand 2) Why check the turn? You can easily be representing a K here.

Hand 3) Bet the turn. If raised call down for the info expecting to lose. No way you can fold this to an unknown.

Hand 4) Sometimes I'll 3 bet the flop. Bet the turn when it's checked to you.

Seem to be kind of timid on the turns, putting yourself in a guessing game and going into call-down mode.

b
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM

hand 2, just keep betting until someone raises, then fold. These spots at motor suck, but check calling means you lose everything. At least if you bet, ppl can call with their 4th pair.

hand 3, once they cap, I just check call down until I boat up, then i c/r.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Hand 1, I'd raise the turn.

Hand 2, once you check the turn and the button bets, checkraise. Blast everyone out and the river will almost always check down.

Hand 3, bet.

Hand 4, bet the turn.

Bet more, raise more. These pots are huge. It will rarely be a big mistake to be too aggressive, but might be a disaster to not knock people out.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 PM

---GRUNCHING---

Hand 1-I'd play it the same.

Hand 2-I would bet the turn and if raised, check-call the river. If called, I would bet the river.

Hand 3-I like the flop cap, you're only beat at this point by what? 73-1 odds? I'd bet out on the turn and call a raise, then, if raised, check call the river unimproved. If not raised on the turn, bet the river unless a really scare card comes, then check call.

Hand 4-I would have re-raised the flop.

How'd I do?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:04 AM

1) Raising the flop doesn't protect your hand because the pot is huge. I call and then raise the turn.

2) Bet the turn for value. No reason to think that you are behind and even if you are the Qs are outs (and maybe the Js too).

3) SSH says to fold in MP3 but call in CO... but whatever, if it is -EV it can't be much. I think I wan;t to call down from the turn.

4) You have KK - put money in the pot.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:14 AM

The first hand I was going to raise the turn, but had a feeling the guy behind me (who was on the button, not the BB) was going to call regardless, and I didnt think the UTG would lead on the turn again, fearing my raise, unless he hit that queen. I had a strong feeling that neither of them had anything on the flop, and I even said out loud, "You guys got anything, yet?" cause they were doing all this betting and raising with nothing.

The second hand I picked up that gut-shot draw, and I wanted to see what the action was like. The King not only completed the most likely draw of JQ, but also made a pair of kings. If there is a bet and raise I have to fold. If it goes check round I have a better idea of where I stand on the river, even though the river card might hurt me.

When everyone checked and the button bet, I called because of the gut-shot draw, hitting a set on the river might be good, and the fact that he might not have a king. I really felt like he did, because 3-6 players at Motor dont even know what button betting is all about usually. Since he called on the flop and then bet the turn when the King fell, I felt my JJ were beat and almost folded, but called for the reasons above. When everyone else folded and it was heads up, I had to call him down on the river. He had a K8o, which made sense, given his call on the flop.

The third hand was goofy because the lady was Asian and the only hand I could put her on giving me that much action was a straight or flush draw or a combination straight flush draw. Once the turn card completed both draws and could have given her a better two pair if she didnt have the draws, I was in c/c down mode. I obviously wasnt going to fold, but I felt pretty strongly that she had some dinky flush and would most likely bet the turn with a flush or any other hand. I checked, and to my surprise she checked the turn. No I was aware that she was afraid of the flush as well, and so I'm like putting her on 4's and tens, 4's and J's or just a pair of jacks. The river was like a 9. I checked, she checked and showed AJ. I was going to value bet the river, but feared she might fold one pair, or raise if she hit the straight. But, I also thought my double check my induce her to bet anyway, given that fact that she was so willing to cap it on the flop with just top pair.

The last hand got me in a quandry because that crazy witch c/r the flop. As soon as she did that my feeling was she had the trips, undoubtedly, and I didnt want to give her any more money because I dont like her. The other two players willing to cold call also kind of told me that they either had draws to beat trips or an overpair, or perhaps one of them had a big hand. Regardless, I wasnt going to get in a raising war with that witch because she is crazy and a jinx. The turn came a 4 which completed two obvious straight draws and the good player checked and the witch checked. My feeling on the turn was that the good player in the SB may actually have the trips waiting to check raise the witch, whom she assumed would bet after c/r the flop. So I checked and took a defensive position. The river was an ace. When they all checked again, I knew they couldnt even beat Aces up, and so Kings up was good, and so I should have bet. Whether they can call me or not I care. It was a weird hand and normally I would take a more aggressive stance, but the witch c/r the flop sent up warning flags because that is how she plays when she know she has someone beat and I was relying on her stupidity. Apparently, I was mistaken.

Yes I fear monsters under the bed constantly. If you saw this witch who plays at Motor you would see what kind of monster she is.

-J