Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 PM

Default an open \"Thank you\" letter to theRempel

Thanks for basically calling me an idiot on the tables tonight, after which I smartened up nicely and made a cool $500.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: an open \"Thank you\" letter to theRempel

TheRempel is a table coach.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:39 PM

Just to be clear, this is an honest "thank you", and I don't mean to suggest that I made the cash from him.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:31 PM

Are you talking about the min buy comment? I don't remember calling anyone an idiot last night, but I was drunk. I pushed with JT97 preflop and won a big pot when I hit a jack, so you can see where I was at.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheRempel is a table coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2006, 07:12 PM

AFAIK, I've never played with you and never said [censored] to you, so keep your inane comments to yourself. Other than losing 3 or 4 big hands to the same goof that kept playing his sets backwards and losing to some river crap way back in July or August, I almost never make any sort of negative comment outside of 'good catch' or 'good hit'. Most often I'm the person telling ridiculous idiots like stefluv on Party to shut the hell up.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:17 PM

As for the min buy thing, I know you like to defend it, but taking a shot by buying in for 20% of the max buy in has got to be -EV in the long run. Anytime you call a raise preflop you're committed if you hit even the tiniest piece of the flop. I learned this the hard way... losing $400 at a time taking shots at the 10/20 on Party and Stars.

I recommend buying in for 40% at the bare minimum, though 50% is better. It gives you some flexibility. You can get a way from hands like middle or bottom set when you're beat but you still have some of the same flexibility of getting it in with decent draws and no worries about playing the turn or river.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about the min buy comment? I don't remember calling anyone an idiot last night, but I was drunk. I pushed with JT97 preflop and won a big pot when I hit a jack, so you can see where I was at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comment was (as best I can remember), "no wonder you're buying in for the minimum".

Well, I took it as a wake up call and I felt I was playing stupid (trying to find reasons to call, calling raises with **** and a short stack.

BTW, when you said you were drunk I thought you were kidding.

As for my minimum buy-in theories I still think they can be +EV (although almost certainly not max EV). But there are certain types of tables where it doesn't work, and I don't think that table last night was one of them. A lot of it depends on playing against opponents who will make mistakes because they play a way that lets a short stack play optimally. When they do, it's really easy to siphon off lots of money. I assume that players at 10/20 don't make these mistakes as much as players at say 0.5/1 and 1/2.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFAIK, I've never played with you and never said [censored] to you, so keep your inane comments to yourself. Other than losing 3 or 4 big hands to the same goof that kept playing his sets backwards and losing to some river crap way back in July or August, I almost never make any sort of negative comment outside of 'good catch' or 'good hit'. Most often I'm the person telling ridiculous idiots like stefluv on Party to shut the hell up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played quite a bit with you actually. I think you are a very good player. However, I've watched you give advice, make comments about others play, and chat it up about or berate others about the "correct" play. Its coaching, and you should stop, its not good for you (or me).
Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 AM

It sure is nice to see some of you other regulars mix it up verbally like this. I get tired sometimes of being the only one providing such amusement with my verbal fisticuffs with acesover8s. If only Ribbutt would start posting again here . . .