Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM

Default 99, big heart in my chest but none in my hand

Here's an interesting hand from the Borg 40/80 this weekend.

SB is loose preflop and a bit overly aggro postflop, though he is by no means a terrible player. Thus far this session, he has gotten out of line postflop a number of times. For example, on one hand he limped from EP with a weak offsuit King, called a raise from the BB, and raised a low card flop with nothing but a King overcard.

BB is a solid player and likely a winner at this level. I have played with him several times and feel that I have a good read on him. He will often lead into a raiser or check/raise if heads up to "see where he is." For example, a few weekends ago I raised UTG with red QQ and he was the only caller in the blinds. He check/raised a K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop, bet the turn which I think was an offsuit 5, then bet the river in the dark. The river paired 9s, I called, and he mucked and said that the 9 counterfeited him.

On to the hand.

I open raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from the button. SB calls and BB calls. The flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB checks, BB leads, I raise, and both call. I raised to drive SB and his Ace/whatever out, but he called anyway. His range is fairly wide, so his call could mean a gutshot, a flush draw, a small pair, or even just A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x.

The turn is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB checks and BB leads again and I call. I felt that the bet was very fishy, that 6 of my straight outs might be clean, and that I might even have the best hand. Now SB check/raises.

How's my play so far?

I was finished with the hand at that point and was going to muck, assuming that BB called. BB went into the damn tank, though, and after a good 90 seconds he mucked his hand.

What's my line now?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 99, big heart in my chest but none in my hand

once bb folds, it seems like sb is going to fos enough to not always be raising the turn with a made flush so peeling one off and folding the river UIed might be best (I'd call if I smashed a set too).
Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 PM

The SB is not going to try to bluff a bettor and a caller, both of which are solid players. He almost certainly has a flush. I think a fold is prudent.

-MD
Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Consider raising the turn as well. It folds out the SB's possible ten, and you say you're calling a river bet anyway. So I'd raise the turn and check behind on the river UI.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM

I use that play a lot when I think I have some chance of having the best hand and am forced to at least call (particularly when I can improve to a big hand). It works best HU, but can also work multiway. I like that play in this case. You can easily fold to a 3rd bet.

-MD
Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use that play a lot when I think I have some chance of having the best hand and am forced to at least call (particularly when I can improve to a big hand). It works best HU, but can also work multiway. I like that play in this case. You can easily fold to a 3rd bet.

-MD

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not folding to a 3-bet here since I may have outs if I need to improve. Since I won't fold to a 3-bet then I'm not comfortable raising this turn. He won't fold a ten anyway.