Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Paypal fraud!?!?

A good friend of mine (not a 2+2er or internet poker player) got an email last night saying that he had a paypal transaction, so he checked out what happned and $400 had been transfered to someone he doesnt know with an asian sounding name. He didnt make a purchase and didnt authorize the transaction so it is obviously fraud. Does anyone here have and experience with this happening with paypal? Are they good at fixing problems like this?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Paypal fraud!?!?

Mayber your friend got taken by a "phishing" scam. I used to get emails all the time telling me I needed to change the password on my paypal account, and I didn't even have a paypal account. These all had links to bogus web sites asking for paypal password, credit card numbers, social securtity number, bank account numbers, pins, mother's maiden name, etc.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mayber your friend got taken by a "phishing" scam. I used to get emails all the time telling me I needed to change the password on my paypal account, and I didn't even have a paypal account. These all had links to bogus web sites asking for paypal password, credit card numbers, social securtity number, bank account numbers, pins, mother's maiden name, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]that is a possibility. If that is the case is there any chance he will get his $ back? or is he screwed?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 PM

He needs to contact Paypal as well as removing the link from his bank account to Paypal right away. Paypal probably will not care but it is possible they can catch it before it is withdrawn.

Paypal absolutely sucks.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He needs to contact Paypal as well as removing the link from his bank account to Paypal right away. Paypal probably will not care but it is possible they can catch it before it is withdrawn.

Paypal absolutely sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]ok, ill let him know. He has already contacted paypal. The money was charged to his credit card though, not bank account, but im sure that doesnt really make a difference. Is there anyway he could go through his credit card company because it was fraud?? thanks again for the help
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Best thing for him to do is to contact the CC company and explain the situation.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:45 PM

Its better charged to CC, he can dispute it. Paypal says if you dispute transactions they will close your account though but you're better off w/o Paypal anyway.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Paypal has been known to invent disputes simply so that they could reverse transactions and keep the money. Since their terms of service include you expressly authorizing anything they choose to do with your balance, bank account, or credit card, including outright theft, I would recommend simply not having an account with Paypal. Neteller FTW?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paypal has been known to invent disputes simply so that they could reverse transactions and keep the money. Since their terms of service include you expressly authorizing anything they choose to do with your balance, bank account, or credit card, including outright theft, I would recommend simply not having an account with Paypal. Neteller FTW?

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone reading this and not believing it, while sounds absurd, it has happened to me in the past. A member simply complained about non-shipment of an eBay item and Paypal stole > $2500 from my bank account without checking to see whether or not the story was legitimate.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:00 PM

If you want to read endless Paypal horror stories go to www.paypalsucks.com , they really are a scum operation.