Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Default EPT London hand

Background

About halfway through the 1st level. Hero has been active, was down to 2k early after getting a set cracked by a straight draw. Have shown down K7s after raising in ep and betting 2 streets with a flush draw. Now back up to 9k after winning a couple of pots(one with AA doubling through villain's QQ). Villain has been fairly quiet, open raising once or twice preflop (but only showing down the QQ with which he reraised an ep raise from mp). Sorry for all the info but I want this to be detailed.

The Hand

UTG limps (has limped a lot of pots), Villain limps utg+1, hero raises to 350 (bb 50), villain is only caller.

Flop is 9h 5c 5h (pot 825)

Villain leads for 300, hero raises to 900, villain shoves for a massive overbet. Calling would leave hero with 1600 while folding would leave 7500. Aside from the obvious 99 and 55 what hands can/should hero call with?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: EPT London hand

I think that TT and JJ make up a big part of his range here - I think I call with JJ+ and 95.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM

I think any pp Ts or higher, villain would have raised. A9/K9 is possible and the way he is playing so is a flush draw. I'd say TT+
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM

I think I probably fold every hand here.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you put villain on?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think any pp Ts or higher, villain would have raised. A9/K9 is possible and the way he is playing so is a flush draw. I'd say TT+

[/ QUOTE ]

A9 and K9 are not possible unless he really sucks and we have no reason to think he does. I agree a flush draw is a big possibility. Come on peeps gimme some more answers
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you put villain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what villain puts you on that bothers me. You've played the hand like a big pair, the read is that he isn't overly aggressive, and yet here he is three-betting all-in on a nothing board. I mean, I'd have difficulty folding a big pair but he's got to have some stones to run an all in bluff here. He's surely to have a big pair, or a big pair beat.

Has this guy come a long way to play this event, or is he a regular at the Grosvenor?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 PM

He lives in London but doesn't play the big events. He qualified through Stars
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM

66-TT seems probable here for Villain. You can probably discount KK+, because a overlimp and not taking the opportunity of a 3-bet preflop would be a very weird play, but after UTG limp-folds... That'd be a non-zero, but eh.

He may have hit this flop pretty hard. If that's what you're considering here... Otherwise, the heart draws might be what Villain's most concerned about. Overreaction to LAGgy play by Hero is a possibility here.

Villain doesn't want the hand to continue, does he? So either he's got the heart draw and is counting on FE to justify the shove. Or he doesn't want to deal with one. I'm not sure I can put him down to having something like A5 though.

As for Hero's decision? Ugh. I'm not entirely sure. I think my head exploded on a couple other hands today. I'd muck JJ-QQ, tank KK+, be happier If I had KQ+ heart draws.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Even if you include several nut flush draws with 99 and 55 in villains range, no overpair has the correct odds to call.

If you have the nut flush draw with 2 big overs that leaves villain with 99 or 55 or a Matusow blow up hand.

fold everything but 99, 55, 95(I assume you don't have)