Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Did I get bluffed here? NL 200

Villain seems reasonable but has a bad case of bluffasaurus rex. I've caught him a few times. He raises really liberally preflop. I hate the way I played this but I really think I could have been good on the river. Most two pair/straight hands check behind don't they in fear of me trapping with the flush?

Im in the BB with AQo. the Ace of spades. one limper in MP...loose button raiser raises to $10, SB calls, I call in the BB...MP calls so we have $40 going the flop.

Ks Qh 10s

Sb checks, i check (?),MP checks, loose button bets $10 (????), SB folds, I call... (hating to raise a loose player out of position)...

Turn: 4s..

I check, he instantly fires $40...I call now with the gutshot, pair, and nut flush draw

River: 2d

I check, he instantly fires out $75

What type of hands could have put this guy on? Anybody up for a crazy call? Wouldn't a K check behind?

Wouldn't a straight be nervous as well? Wouldn't he have played a set more aggressively on the flop?

Help?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Did I get bluffed here? NL 200

i think the only thing you beat here is a bluff.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but what hands realistically bet this river? Do you not fine something sketchy about these quick bets and the fact that most hands would want to get to showdown?

Who is betting two pair or AK in this spot? You would think thats a normal check behind.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 PM

I've been rereading NLTAP recently and one of the concepts that I really think is key is that you should be willing to fold hands that you think may be over 50% favorites because you are out of position against an unpredictable opponent. The situation you're in on the river really sucks (I fold here btw; I think he bets more on the river if he's trying to bluff you out, since thus far you've played your hand exactly like a scared one pair). You can avoid these situations by finding a flop fold and waiting until you have position on him to let him bluff his stack at you.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:30 PM

A flush bets this river.....
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Squeeze it preflop.
Fold river.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but what hands realistically bet this river? Do you not fine something sketchy about these quick bets and the fact that most hands would want to get to showdown?

Who is betting two pair or AK in this spot? You would think thats a normal check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am betting two pair in this spot 100% of the time. your line (c-call, c-call, check river) does not look like a hand at all, thus he could be value betting/bluffing a ton of hands
Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 PM

reraise preflop as a default

and consider leading the turn for around the pot
Old 09-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Is this anything like he played his bluffs before?

Unless I knew the guy just never learns, I'd be inclined to think that your having caught him a couple times recently, plus his taking the lead 4 times in this hand, make it too unlikely that he's bluffing.

I like your holding onto the hand up to the river. You have a loose guy who might have a strong hand, maybe he's tilted and even pissed at you, and you have a bunch of draws to the nuts. Too good of a chance at his stack to pass up. That is assuming you have at least close to full stacks.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Squeeze it preflop.
Fold river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I read your post correctly a player that raises liberally preflop is what we call a LAGtard. They can make your life difficult since they will be in there with any two. My general rule is to keep them on my right so I've position. If they're going to firing again on the flop then they fall into the category of players that don't mind losing a lot of small pots. Because they usually have air you mistakenly call them down with their big hands and pay them off big. I don't try to out-lag these guys. I'm calling preflop with good cards and if I miss the flop I'm gone. In the BB you can't continually call these players hoping to flop the nuts. This is a perfect opportunity to squeeze and force villain to put up more money with his 53s or whatever. Squeeze him to ~$30-$40 and it makes calling on a draw incorrect. Plus, if folded to the button he's going to be HU which will narrow his correct calling range even further. With the flop in question you could fire out a normal bet of ~$60, representing a flopped set, and villain is looking at being ai on the turn. The hand plays a whole lot easier when you become the aggressor. The best way to prevent a bluff is to represent a stronger hand than you actually have.

Fold the river. You don't have a clue what villain has.