Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 PM

Default I miss Ed Miller

Just finished rereading NO Limit Hold'em Theory & Practice.. this place just isn't quite the same without ole bushy eyebrows giving his takes on the forums and running the magazine. What exactly happened to cause the falling out with Ed, his wife, and 2+2? In the book Winning Secrets of Poker Ed credits 2+2 "They were the number one resource that helped me become a winner". It's too bad we don't see him around here anymore.

L8r.. BB
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM

Default Re: I miss Ed Miller

There was no falling out. Here is what he said on his website, www.notedpokerauthority.com

"A New Direction
By Ed Miller

In July 2006, I resigned some of my responsibilities at Two Plus Two. Specifically, I stepped down as editor of the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine, and I stopped working on the website redesign project. I also made a personal decision to stop participating in the forum discussions.

A number of factors contributed to this decision, but the most important one was time. I had my hand in too many pots, and I didn't have the time to do a high-quality job on any of them.

I decided that I best spend my time in three ways: writing books, playing poker, and hanging out with my family. My other responsibilities distracted from these activities. I started playing poker and writing books for a living because it afforded me a great lifestyle with tons of time flexibility. Recently, though, I managed to sign up for so many little responsibilities that I was beginning to feel like I had built myself a little cubicle. For me, poker is about freedom and life enjoyment, and I was losing both.

So I made the difficult decision to downsize and concentrate on what's most important to me. In case there was any doubt, not only am I continuing to work on books, I now expect to progress faster than I had previously anticipated.

I know there's bound to be lots of speculation about my other reasons for downsizing. Without going too deeply into what those might be, I will say that if it weren't for this time issue, I may have chosen to work actively and constructively on those issues rather than to resign. Ultimately, however, I decided I didn't want to invest my time in that direction, and I thought it best to concentrate on books, playing, and family.

My current book project, published by Two Plus Two, is tentatively titled Small Stakes No Limit Hold 'em, and I'm working on it with long-time forum posters and no limit experts Matt Flynn and Sunny Mehta. They are excellent writing partners, and I can safely guarantee that the material in this book will blow people's minds. There's nothing like this information available in print, and to be honest, while it's discussed occasionally on the 2+2 forum (often by Matt and Sunny themselves), I would guess that most forum members are, at best, vaguely familiar with these ideas.

Basically, Matt and Sunny outline a simple framework for planning and evaluating decisions in no limit hands. I think this framework will alter people's thought processes as fundamentally as the concept of implied odds must have when it was first described.

Also, I'd like to announce that this project has generated so much material that it's sprouted into two volumes. The first volume, which we hope to have out by Christmas 2006, will detail the fundamentals of no limit thinking, the core framework for thinking about no limit hands, a number of errors that many players make (as well as explanations for how to avoid making them), and numerous hand examples and problems.

The second volume will focus on applying the core framework and adjusting it to different game conditions. It will contain a thorough discussion of adjusting to different opponents, of adjusting to short-handed situations, and numerous other topics. It should be out in mid-2007."
Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 PM

I miss Ed (and Mrs. Miller) too. Resigning his responsibilities is one thing, but he should still post here.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 PM

I think Ed just grew sour with the "poker life" in general (at least according to one of his last posts).

The deal with is wife is that she's some really really extreme feminist/left wing radical type and probably contributed to those feelings, at least that's my guess.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 PM

It would rule if Ed would still post in the strategy forums at least. We've lost a lot of the old great strategy posters. I hope SSNLHE is better than NLT&P [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 AM

It would be 'FANTASTIC!' if Ed still posted.

Unfortunately, I think [censored](the person) banned/exiled/whatevered his wife and all hell broke loose after that.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 AM

Maybe we could punish [censored] somehow, and Ed would come back? Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 AM

yeah. It's really too bad that happened.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 AM

From what I've read, Ed seemed pretty jaded with people's attitude toward poker and I'm sure a substantial portion of those feelings came from this very forum.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be 'FANTASTIC!' if Ed still posted.

[/ QUOTE ]