Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Playing NL for first time - where did I go wrong with this AK?

I am a Limit HE player in a .50-1.00 NL home game. 6 Handed and I have about $140 behind. I have recently won a bit pot against villain when I slowplayed a turned str8 and got all the money in on the river. Opponent is a LAG who will call most re-raises pre-flop and has me covered.

I am in SB and the action is: Villain raises to $3, button calls, I raise to $18 (is this too much? I felt that this was possibly a mistake but I didn't really want to see a flop OOP).

Villain CALLS my raise and button folds ($37.00 in pot).

Flop is: T-2-3 rainbow - I check (is this an error, should I have made a continuation bet on this board? I felt that villain would only call my pre-flop riase with a PP and would push overtop of me with AK). Villain checks behind. Now I have no idea what he has - maybe 99? 88? TT is very possible here as well I am thinking. He seemed to be willing to call a lot of re-raises pre-flop but I could tell by the convo that my bets were high for the table.

Turn is another T completing rainbow. My move here (and I think it was a mistake) was to CHECK. Villain pushes I think for a sec and fold my hand.

So, since I am VERY new to NL I was wondering if my error was primarily in riasing and bloating the pot OOP with AKo or that I failed to make a continuation bet on the flop/turn. If my mistake was something that I am missing here alltogether then any comments on that would be appreciated as well.

TIA
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Playing NL for first time - where did I go wrong with this AK?

Nothing wrong with just calling preflop:

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent is a LAG who will call most re-raises pre-flop and has me covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really want to see a flop OOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking and folding both the flop and the turn is fine.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:45 AM

pf reraise is a little big...I make it like 13-14 total...Anyway, you are repping a big pair pre flop, follow it up and tell him you have a big overpair by c-b'ing the flop...You will know what to do after that.

Obv you have to fold the turn.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 AM

Reraising preflop is debatable given your read, but if you reraise preflop, lead the flop. You want this over with quickly. If the hand survives to the turn, give it up.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM

I made a small mistake in the action - the bet from Villain was $4 and a $4 call on the button. My raise was $18 total as I figured a pot size/just over pot size bet should fold out most hands.

Once villain calls the pre-flop raise - what but a PP can I put him on? Any post flop bet from me would have to be around $20 (making the pot around $60 and leaving me $100 behind) - do I fold to a push from villain in this spot? the pot would be $160 to my $100 but the flop was so dry that he would likely push with any PP to any bet I made. I was strongly considering a bet on the turn but had no plan for the river if he called (which is why I checked).
Old 09-14-2006, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraising preflop is debatable given your read, but if you reraise preflop, lead the flop. You want this over with quickly. If the hand survives to the turn, give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is EXACTLY how I plan to play it next time against this type of opponent. What strikes me as most valuable in your post of the following: "You want this over with quickly." - I agree with this 100% but wasn't sure if I had the right idea with my AK OOP. He showed me his hand after I folded and I will share it soon.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 AM

His hand makes no difference. He could have had 72o...You cant call and he knows it after reraising and checking 2 streets.

Is he really that donkish that he will push over any cb with something like 99 or JJ?

Yes, you are definitely folding to a raise if you cb. Also, the reraise number is fine then.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand makes no difference. He could have had 72o...You cant call and he knows it after reraising and checking 2 streets.

Is he really that donkish that he will push over any cb with something like 99 or JJ?

Yes, you are definitely folding to a raise if you cb. Also, the reraise number is fine then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a strong feeling he would push over top with any pair so I was hoping to spike on the turn and felt him (he MAY have called a big bet on the turn/river if he had a medium PP with an Ace on board - he did so when I felted him not 10-15 minutes earlier). One of the things that strikes me about your post is that villain could have 72o here and would play it the same. Villain DEFINITLY thought I was bluffing with the large pre-flop raise (large for this particular game I guess since consensus is that the raise is just about right); he showed AQ and said "I had you right?" - I said "Yes, yes you did".

The guy who layed down on the button is chatting with me now and plays in that game regularly. He is telling me my raises were WAY HIGH for that game which may have contributed to the guy thinking i was trying to "buy the pot" (BTW - I kept hearing this being said at the game, do people really bluff and try to steal the pot THAT MUCH in live NL? I was very surprised at this).