Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 04:33 PM

Default At which \"M\" do you start to push or fold??

Based on your individual (they will certainly vary) pushing ranges, at which M do you push or fold? Under what circumstances are you calling, or raising without pushing?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: At which \"M\" do you start to push or fold??

Well, at about 7-8 M I could Push if i get a good hand. As people are really willing to call you if they have a decent M, 20+.
But the real push/fold stage start when Im at 4-5 M.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:42 PM

This is such an open-ended question. There are a multitude of ranges and situations.

Last summer I played an MTT where very early in the tournament I had a tremendous run of cards, got paid off and my M was "infinity." I was pushing with a huge number of hands on the flop and turn because of the weak-ass table that would not risk their remaining stack against the bully. I pushed with all kinds of wacky hands, 75o, 87s, etc., because the probability of pushing everyone off the pot was so great.

Obviously when your M gets low enough to get you close to life support, then its more or less shove or fold every time. But you should never wait for only these times.

Unless you are ultra short stacked, your M should never have an impact on when you push. You either push for value when you think you have the best of it and expect to get a caller. Or you push when you think you can bully players off the pot often enough to have a net positive gain.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 PM

Spee is correct in that there are too many situations possible to give an absolute range for calling/raising/pushing/folding based on your M. However, if you want some good general advice on M and how it should affect your play, read the chapter dedicated to that subject in Harrington on Hold'em Volume II (in fact, just read the whole book... a lot... as well as the first one).

Basically though, if your M reaches 5 you are looking to find a hand that gets all your chips in the middle. Between 5 and 10, you are still looking to play solid value hands, intending to get your chips in if you flop well. This is a really good range to look for resteal opportunities. With an M of 10+, you're in the range where you can afford to make a raise pre-flop, and still fold if someone comes over the top. At 20+, you have pretty much every weapon in the arsenal at your command.

--TFGoose
Old 09-14-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was pushing with a huge number of hands on the flop and turn because of the weak-ass table that would not risk their remaining stack against the bully. I pushed with all kinds of wacky hands, 75o, 87s, etc., because the probability of pushing everyone off the pot was so great.

Obviously when your M gets low enough to get you close to life support, then its more or less shove or fold every time. But you should never wait for only these times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously picking your spots carefully here. I understand what you are saying, and I have done this, but with certain cards, I am NOT wanting to get called, and as such, large raises have done the same. In the event I am called, I'm not going broke. In addition, I find that in many of the 180's or 45 turbos, it is easy to get short stacked(Hence my question), as there have been MANY times where the cards are just not coming, the table is not breaking up, and everyone is loose. These are the times the M starts to suffer.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 PM

As your M decreases into the red zone, you should really start to open up your pushing range, especially when you are in late position and you can open the pot or if there is one limper, etc.

Generally the rule of thumb is if you have around or less than 10 BB's you should push any hand that you are going to play. This is still case dependent though.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally the rule of thumb is if you have around or less than 10 BB's you should push any hand that you are going to play. This is still case dependent though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish this rule of thumb were written like this, "If you choose to play a hand and you have less than 10BBs (or close to it) you should generally go A/I."

Too often people see the other reading and think it means w/less than 10BBs go A/I with any two.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Two comments:
- First, lack of cards should never be an excuse for not moving chips. Cold decks can hit you at any point. There should be enough variation and deception in your play to get you through the vast majority of good card/bad card situations.
- Second, you don't push because of your M. You push because you feel it is the optimal play to make for the situation.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM

I will only push when I'm under 5
The 6-10 range it depends
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM

Assuming average conditions (which of course don't exist) I like to begin pushing at about an M of 8 or 9 with opportunities like opening with 10 10 or slick utg, or 88 in the co. I will re-raise a/i all but the tightest players with 10s+, AK, and MAYBE AQ (only with AQ if I may have FE.